Will I need a bigger tank? Question

1. roob Initiate Member

Hello,

I am an almost complete newbie, I was given for my birthday (beginning of December) a tank that is 12 gallons(US), in it was...

7 Zebra Danio
    5 Gold Barbs
    1 Chinese Algae Eater
    2 Snails

I am quite conscious to make sure that im not keeping animals that are stressed or unhappy with their environment, so I bought a filter, plants, and got some driftwood and rocks and some coral rubble from the local store. I have done some research about my fish, and they all seem to need room to be lively. I think that they are alright at the moment, as they are quite small, but will I need a bigger tank when they grow up?

I appreciate any help, Im keen to learn more about this new hobby!

Roob

2. Fishzone08 Member Member

welcome to fishlore!
    Your tank is way overstocked.
    The CAE will grow huge so its best to get rid of that, just give it to your local fish store. Even with just your 7 danios in your tank you would be overstocked. It usually goes by every inch of fish to your amount of gallons in your tank, so the danios would grow to 2 inches so thats 2 gallons out of your 12 gallons.
    If I were you I would do this;
    4 Danios
    6 Neon tetra
    2 Snails
    That would be a good fun enjoyable setup.
    Hope it has helped you.

3. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello roob, welcome to fishlore :)

For all of those fish (if you get rid of the chinese algae eater as advised) you will need a 20G tank atleast

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Welcome to fishlore! :;hi1

I like your stock. But, Yup, you will need a bigger tank soon. To keep the CAE you will need at least in US a 55 gallon tank. I'm not fond of the CAE due to they get big, aggressive, don't graze on much algae when they get bigger, pretty much get lazy, known to attach themselves to flatbodied fish to eat their slime coat. There are other algae eaters suitable such as Otos, Bristlenose Pleco (still need to feed algae wafers and fresh veggies) Cherry Shrimp and Amano Shrimp. But still need a bigger tank. Good luck! :)

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-chinesealgaeeater.htm

5. Camille Member Member

Whoa... 55 gallons? According to you I'm way overstocked. I don't think a beginner wants to upgrade to a huge 55 gallon right away. I would say to upgrade to a 29 gal. tank. That's the size tank that I have right now and it's stocked with:
    4 danios
    1 chinese alage eater
    4 guppies
    1 powder blue gourami
    3 black neon tetras
    3 black-skirt tetras
    2 angelicus botias
    1 red wag platy
    1 corydoras

All of my fish are very healthy and active. I have never seen my CAE pick on the other fish and I've had him for a few years now.

Good luck with you aquarium!
    -Camille:animal0028:

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Roob, welcome to fishlore. If I were you, I'd look to rehome the danios and the CAE. Then you'd end up with a nice tank you could get cycled and sit back and enjoy. You could even get yourself a small school of pygmy corydora catfish for the bottom of your tank.

Happy belated birthday - an aquarium is a very cool gift! Who was it from? Parents, girlfriend, someone else?

7. kelsangdol Member Member

I agree with everyone. Possibly get a 30 gallon?
    LOL, there are 5,10,15,20 gallon tanks out there but then 29 comes along and 30's are rare haha!

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 30 gallon long tank. It's 36 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 16 inches tall. It's a really nice size. :)

In something like that, you could keep all the fish you have now, except the CAE. You could get cories or a bristlenose pleco for the bottom, and add a school of neon tetras or a few platies or something. :)

9. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I don't have a Chinese Algae Eater, but some members have had problems with them sucking the slimecoat off their other fish, so I would definitely consider rehoming him.

With the remaining fish, a 29g tank would be perfect for them.

Good luck and we're glad to have you here.:)

11. roob Initiate Member

Thankyou for all your replies, I will definately get rid of the CAE! I got the aquarium as a joint effort from my housemates, I was very happy! But im not sure I can afford a bigger tank, but if i needed I thought about buying a huge clear plastic box...

Anyway, Im quite happy with the size of the tank, I just need to find the right amount of fish I think. I really like the look of the cories, but even if I replaced on of my species with them, im guessing i would still be overstocked. I quite like the setup proposed by Fishzone08, but i dont know why but im not keen on neon tetra, how would bloodfin tetra be instead of the neons?

Roob

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i think you'll be okay with your barbs, 4 pygmy cories, and the snails. If you are interested in keeping the barbs, that is.,

13. roob Initiate Member

Well I couldnt decide between getting rid of the barbs or danios, but I think that the danios would suffer for room more than the barbs, as the danios are very quick and like to dart from one end to the other, I think when they got bigger they would miss that. The barbs tend to spiral up the corners, so I think they wouldnt be too bad.

I like your suggestion. What are the cories like? are they lively or quite placid? I dont want to go and buy more fish that need room!

Roob

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the pygmy cories are smaller so I think they'd be a better fit. They are cute, The swim around the bottom searching the substrate for goodies. They are very peaceful and do not need much swim room. I think they would make a nice addition.

eta: The other benefit is that since they tend to stay at or near the bottom, they aren't competing for the same swim space as the other fish. :)

15. roob Initiate Member

Happy Christmas Everyone!

I am liking the idea of changing my tank from what is now an asian type tank, to a more south american setup. I was reading about my barbs, and they get up to 3 inches, which from what people have said I think is too big for my tank.

Im also starting to like neon tetras a bit more, because they dont grow very big, so how does this sound...

4 Neon Tetra
    4 pygmy cories

Do I need more tetra than this to keep them happy?

Roob

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would up the tetras to 5, personally. You would be a bit overstocked, maybe, but with good filtration and regular maintainence, I think it'll be fine.

I just got neon tetras in my tank 2 days ago and really like them, but I am a bit disappointed that they aren't schooling at all. They are really beautiful, I'm really glad I got them.

17. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a fan of the Cardinal Tetra over the Neon. Looks similar & also stays small. It does need a well matured tank to survive in though. If you want the Neons then I would also have 5-6 of these with the 4 pygmy cories. I don't think 6 neons & 4 cories is overstocked in a 50lt tank. Not even close. If you do want barbs instead then look into Cherry Barbs. They are a bright red color when they are happy & only get to 4cm. Just out of curiosity do you have a heater in your aquarium? It is just that I noticed in your aquarium info that your water temp is only 20c. That's a bit too cool for tropical fish really & should be 24-26c for most tropicals.

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

cardinals get to 2 inches, neons get 1.5 inches.

19. whisper Well Known Member Member

Also your Gold Barbs are going to get to the size of a quarter or bigger. Five would be ok in a 12 gal by themselves but with all the other fish you have they would soon be very crowded.

20. roob Initiate Member

Sorry, what is a quarter?

Meenu you are right, I have no heater, I rely on room temperature which rarely drops below 20. I was told at the fish shop when i bought plants and filter for my new tank that the barbs will be fine down to 15C (60F), and the danios fine down to 18C (65F) so I dont think that is an issue, is it? They do look pretty happy at the moment, but they are very young (about 3/4" each, ignoring the CAE which I never see anyway)

Roob