will i move the alege to my other tank if...?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a small ship in my 29gallon tank. we pulled it out about a month ago b/c it just looked silly in such a large tank. I now have a five gallon tank on my office at work. I was going to put the ship in this new tank, but I noticed it still had green alege on it. As some of you prolly know from my other posts, we have a horrible alege problem in our 29 gallon tank. Would putting the ship in the new tank move the alege to the new tank even though it's been dry for about a month? If so... would boiling solve this problem?
Thanks ~J~

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep just pop it into boiling water for a bit ,that will kill it off .

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Timesdragonfly said:
Would putting the ship in the new tank move the algae to the new tank even though it's been dry for about a month? If so... would boiling solve this problem?
If it is decor bought at a fish store, do NOT boil it - it may melt (not kidding). I once wanted to disinfect a nice piece of decor so I thought I'd boil it. And I did ... lol. The decor came out the pot all falling apart and melting, lol So do not boil yours. It will not bring algae to the new tank if you just clean it well in tap water, and scrape it well. Besides, it's been dry for a month - whatever the algae were on it, are long dead by now.

P.S. Unless, as Boff suggests, putting the decor for a few seconds in boiling water will work ... ? Though I'd personally be afraid to do this. Since boiling water can melt decor, it may also release chemicals from that decor (who knows?).

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I din't think of that Isabella,sorry Timesdragonfly . :-[

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
boff said:
I din't think of that Isabella,sorry Timesdragonfly . :-[
Boff, no need to apologize! Maybe the decor I had was made of material that melts easily? But just in case Timesdragonfly's decor is also made out of the same material, it's better not to boil it. Besides, the decor has been dry for about a month, right? Algae couldn't live this long without water!

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella even theo the decor has been out of water for a month does this kill off the algae spores , :-\

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's the big question right? lol! Spores are hard to kill!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, you're right guys. In that case, Timesdragonfly, if you want to boil it - do boil it. But if it starts melting or smelling "weird" please do not use it in any tanks, just to be on the safe side.

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
drop it in some bleach is my vote then clean it well. Bleach tears my hands up so I know it will kill some spores

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't forget to put some strong latex gloves on !!!

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I will just go buy another 7 dollar ship!!! lol, this all sounds like a lot of work! hehe, thanks for all your advice. I'm glad I didn't put it in the tank! Then i'd have two green aquariums!
~J~

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom