Will I Be Overcrowding? Question

1. TexasFlood Initiate Member

Hey,
    Just bought a new 20 gallon. I have 5 neon tetras in there right now. I would like to add 5 or 6 harlequin rasboras and 1 oto. Is this overcrowding? Also, when should I add in the other species? I just added the neons today.
    Thanks!

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely not overcrowded, you may want more than 1 oto, though.
    Try Aqadvisor.

3. stearnsjg Initiate Member

Yeah, you're not overcrowding, but a pair or trio of otos may be better. If you added the neons today, wait at least a week or two before adding the harlequin rasboras. Because of tank size, I would only add two rasboras every 1-2 weeks. Do the otos last to give time for the algae in your tank to grow.

4. TexasFlood Initiate Member

Will the rasboras not fight if there's only 2 in the first week??

5. stearnsjg Initiate Member

No, they should be fine. Its better to add them slowly like that. Otherwise, because the tank is smaller, you could cause a spike.

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi TexasFlood and welcome. Congratulations on the new tank! :)
    Is this tank cycled and do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
    I ask because if not, there may be issues with your neons as they really do best in a cycled tank that is a few months old. If it were me, I would keep a really close eye on them and watch for any ammonia spikes-if the tank is not cycled.
    I also agree with the others, a couple at a time (adding the fish) and check the perimeters to make sure the good bacteria is keeping up with your tank load.
    Good luck and please post as often as you need to for any assistance! :)

7. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I would get at least 5 otos in the tank, They tend to be more healthy(less stressed) in groups.

8. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Another welcome Texas Flood (Stevie Ray? ;)). You'll find all the information you could ever want and lots of helpful fish lovers here!

9. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Unless you are a Russian Roulette aficionado, please don't forget to QT your new fish for at least four to six weeks. Add two or two three couple of weeks to your 20G. Keep your water clean and keep testing your water before you add new fish.

Good luck.

10. LiamK Initiate Member

Ottos can be hard to acclimate because they're a bit fragile so it is best to add them to a well cycled mature tank

11. animalfreak Initiate Member

Yes that's fine, just add one more oto then you'll be good.

Remember not to add too many fish at once. Keep checking your water weekly because it's a new tank that's cycling.