Will Hornwort kill my other plants?

imyourhuckleberry
I read that Hornwort releases a chemical that kills other plants around it. Has anyone experienced this? I have basic lighting and no co2. So far I’ve only picked plants that can grow easily in my gravel without soil. Was adding hornwort a bad idea?

JLAquatics
I have had a huge clump of Hornwort with other aquatic plants for months in my densely planted 29 gallon for my shrimp and nothing plant wise is dying from the presence of Hornwort. It is a nitrate sponge, however, so dosing an all in one fert like Thrive or Easy-Green will help prevent your other plants from starving nutrition wise.

JustABeginner
imyourhuckleberry said:
I read that Hornwort releases a chemical that kills other plants around it. Has anyone experienced this? I have basic lighting and no co2. So far I’ve only picked plants that can grow easily in my gravel without soil. Was adding hornwort a bad idea?
I've had hornwort and ambulia as floating plants but they don't seem to kill each other off. Based on my experience, I think hornwort allelopathy only seem to affect certain types of algae.

Kribensis27
As JustABeginner said, I think the allelopathy of hornwort only works on certain algaes. It shouldn't have an effect on healthy plants. I grow it with vallisneria, dwarf lilies, crypts, and salvinia, and it doesn't seem to affect them in the slightest.

Latest threads

Top Bottom