Will he survive?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bigtanker, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Bigtanker

Bigtanker New Member Member

flip fish 2.jpg
    this gourami was recently stuck in one of my decoartions and I just was able to get him out. He seems to have scale damage. Also his fins are not very blue. Will he survive?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I keep an eye out on him for a little while and make some water changes. SInce he may have open wounds he can get infections. If you have a QT I would use it so other fish won't pick on him.

I had a dwarf one that got stuck on the decoration as he couldn't swim through a hole. I used chop sticks to dislodged him and he had a big ole gash on his head. He would float around like a drunk fish and get stuck on the filter and I would dislodge him again.

Than he reopened that wound again some how and I took him out.

3. OP
    OP
    Bigtanker

Okay thanks that's about what I did too. He is also floating around the too. The only difference besides the gash is his fins are not sticking up like my other dwarf. Does that mean anything?

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Clamping of the fins to the body can be a sign of stress or discomfort, I would imagine he's experiencing both. Its hard to say if he will be okay or why he got stuck but clean water and the addition of kordons fish protector and/or vita chem to your regimine may help him recover. Best wishes for your fish. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Bigtanker

flip fish.jpg
    Thanks
    That is a picture of his fins. I know it looks like he lost fins but they are all there

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Matt B

In that picture it almost looks like his spine is indented, ouch. Out of curiosity why are the pictures coming up sideways? At first I thought he was floating upside down.

7. OP
    OP
    Bigtanker

Well the pictures are off of my iPod so I am not really sure... I am taking them regular right side up!

Also I was wondering what an indented spine was. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I fixed the picture
    For some reason when attaching from an iphone the pics flip.
    Something to do with the size I think.

9. OP
    OP
    Bigtanker

Ok thanks!

10. Matt B

I meant he looks almost deformed, like his back got indented from being stuck, I'm really not sure if you can fix it or if maybe its just swelling from getting stuck.

How is he acting this morning?

11. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I hate fake decorations just for that reason. The fish grow and the decoration does not. I would get it out of there and add some driftwood instead. I had a castle that a fish got stuck in and I had to smash it with a hammer to get the fish out. Then I got one of those fake tree stumps and that was even worse. The fish would swim into that thing and go down into the hollow branches and get stuck.

So decorations may be kinda cute but not worth killing your fish over.

12. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had to take a hammer to a ceramic piece to free the goldfish in my avatar.

Just this week, my green phantom pleco got stuck in a piece and died. I didn't know anything was amiss until I woke up and found 3 dead roselines.

14. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Beautiful fish. Hopes he does well.

15. Matt B

How is your Gourami?

16. N

Nickatx1 New Member Member

i had a gbr nick himself on a piece of sharp slate once(unfortunately i overlooked this when putting it in) and it looked similar to the injuries your guy has. do you have a quarantine tank? it would be best to put him somewhere dark to eliminate stress from harsh tank lights and other fish (if you have any others in with him). api stresscoat is said to aid with torn fins and may be of some use here. hope he makes it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice