Will He Go Blind??

Sabrina Iannone

I'm trying to convince my mom to let me get him. I can't tell if he's on his way to blindness or if he already is, but either way, I want him. I want to give him the best life possible, because I know how difficult it can be for blind bettas to thrive. I'm worried that in the wrong hands, he'll have a stressful and short existence.

Fanatic

Sabrina Iannone

Thank you for the link! I'll look at it when I can.

Happy Mama

Thank you for researching before adopting him. Sounds like you’ll be a wonderful adopted fish parent. Good vibes to you.

My dragon scale/metallic betta girls (and others in the community) swim up to eat when I turn off the HOB filter and the water is still. It also helps during vacuuming and water changes. They’re incredibly smart.

Sabrina Iannone

Bettas are incredibly smart. Hopefully I can convince my mom.

The_fishy

It looks like he may only be able to see shadows at the moment. If he is young (which is likely), there is a big chance that he will go fully blind.

BettaMom98

He definitely has diamond eye and is either partially or completely blind in that eye, (as well as his other if it’s like that as well.)

Sabrina Iannone

Okay. Thanks to both of you.

Sabrina Iannone

My mom is saying no more fish, and she's not listening to my explanation. Hopefully my dad can convince her

Sabrina Iannone

So my parents had bought him while I was at work. Now I'm trying to feed him a bunch of different foods, but he keeps spitting them all out.
He spits out flakes, and he tried eating betta pellets but he gave up.

Sabrina Iannone

So I ordered a feeding ring and some special food that has garlic in it, so he can smell. I set the feeding ring up first and left it in there for about 8 hours so he could familiarize himself with it. Then I put the pellets in, and he immediately was able to sniff them out. He didn't spit it out, either! I'm happy he finally has a full belly.

The_fishy

Sabrina Iannone said:
So I ordered a feeding ring and some special food that has garlic in it, so he can smell. I set the feeding ring up first and left it in there for about 8 hours so he could familiarize himself with it. Then I put the pellets in, and he immediately was able to sniff them out. He didn't spit it out, either! I'm happy he finally has a full belly.
Awesome! Glad it is working out. Sometimes bettas will spit out food and re-eat it if it is a bit large or not moist enough, so don’t be too concerned if you see that behavior in the future as long as he is still eating fine in the long run.

Sabrina Iannone

Thanks!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom