Will guppy siblings breed?

jkkgron2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have three juvenile guppies (one male and two female) who are siblings and I’m wondering will they breed? I suspect they will but I want to make sure that I am correct and I won’t be waiting for baby guppies forever until I realize the guppies aren’t breeding! Also, I’m worried that if they do breed the females will be to young and won’t survive having the fry...Please help me! Thanks!

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They will definitely breed yes. Guppies will breed like rabbits regardless of relation.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep. They will breed. I'm pretty sure most organisms - particularly animals - can breed with closely related individuals. I think humans are the exception, where inbreeding tends to be negative frowned upon (by society)... and of course, self incompatibilities (common in plants, dunno about animals....) which is biological/chemical.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you choose to keep breeding make sure to add new DNA every once in a while, otherwise deformities will start to form. This can be as simple as adding one or two guppies.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As already been mentioned overhere, they´ll certainly breed with eachother. Even in nature siblings will breed with eachother. But mutations like deformities by inbreeding won´t happen so fast in the wild in comparison to captive ones. It´s a fact that guppies are more vulnerable to mutations when kept in captivity. And therefore inbreeding will pace up the deformities in captivity. But they´ll be good for a couple of generations before a deformity by inbreeding happens. Unless the line they came from has already suffered from inbreeding before.
But to create a new strain of guppies, inbreeding is in need. And depending on the traits you´re looking for to be passed on this might be one or multiple times of selective inbreeding.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom