Will Guppies Overpopulate A Community Tank? Question

1. nikislash

nikislash New Member Member

So I bought two male guppies, and for the most part they're fine, but they do spend a lot of time chasing each other. I was worried they would stress each other out, so I added a third to diffuse the tension. Now the new guppy ignores the other two and just harasses my Bolivian Rams, stressing them out as well.

I'm getting to the point where I'm just about to return the guppies to my pet store, but I wondered if I could just distract them with some females instead. I don't want the tank to get overcrowded though, what are the chances that fry will survive in a community tank?

It's a 20 gallon planted tank and the rest of the stock are:
    10 hengeli rasbora
    2 bolivian rams

I might add some otos or corys in the future.

So are females a good idea? Or am I setting myself up for a fry storm?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

How planted is the tank? How many hiding spots are there?

When a m/f are introduced, they will have a batch of babies every month. It could be 5 fry or it could be 50 fry. It’ll be a guppy fry storm in no time. Especially if you want the females to lower aggression since you’ll need 3 females for every male. I also think your tank is at it’s max so I wouldn’t add any more fish.

3. OP
    OP
    nikislash

It's pretty heavily planted including a bunch of moss so there would be hiding places.

Hmm, I was thinking 2:1. I'll definitely be overstocked if I add 9 females, before I even consider babies.

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Then the chance of the fry surviving are pretty high.

5. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I've heard rams are very good fry hunters, but if you've got an agressive guppy, I'd just rehome him. Females probably wouldn't distract from the other males, it might actually increase him aggression. From my experience, this is the case

6. OP
    OP
    nikislash

Thanks for the input. I suspected it was probably a bad idea and this confirms it. I'll rehome the aggressive one and leave the other two as is.