Will Green Hair Algae Disappear One Day?

TagTeam

I've been fighting Green Hair Algae for months in both of my tanks (tank specs below).
Will it eventually just go away over time as I continue doing what I'm doing, or do I need to try another approach?

So far I've:
  • Stopped using ferts
  • Switched to a very low light
  • Weekly 25% PWCs
  • Tried removing as much as possible by hand
  • Somewhat regular doses of excel (I can't tell if excel is helping or hurting my cause)
Tank 1:
Tank 2:

AquaticJ

Don’t stop using ferts. The reason for green hair algae is an imbalance between light and c02. More specifically, high light and little/no c02. So, you don’t necessarily have to use a weak light, you just need to cut back the time it’s on for about 5-6 hours, AND use C02.

Kathryn Crook

Could try this.

I found after one treatment, it losened algae to remove and I'm sure with several treatements, it would melt away completely.
Just be carful of your dosing. 1/2 teaspoon equals 2.5ml and 1.5 ml per gallon of WATER. Better to underdose then overdose.

logqnty

I've been fighting Green Hair Algae for months in both of my tanks (tank specs below).
Will it eventually just go away over time as I continue doing what I'm doing, or do I need to try another approach?

So far I've:
  • Stopped using ferts
  • Switched to a very low light
  • Weekly 25% PWCs
  • Tried removing as much as possible by hand
  • Somewhat regular doses of excel (I can't tell if excel is helping or hurting my cause)
Tank 1:
  • 20g tall
  • 1 male betta
  • 8 harlequin rasbora
  • 2 amano snail
  • 2 otos
  • Java ferns, green cambomba, anubias, java moss, moneywort
Tank 2:
  • 25 g
  • 1 dwarf guaromi
  • 8 glow light tetra
  • 5 kuhlI loach
  • 2 red cherry shrimp
  • Java ferns, java moss, green cambomba, anubias, amazon sword, dwarf sag
No. It will stay for ever and ever and never leave, growing in massive amounts on all over your plants and decorations. Whenever you take your plants out to clean them of the algae, It will all grow back in 2 days. You will wonder what the meaning of life is as you constantly scrape off the algae from the plants. You will want to leave the hobby and start knitting, or worse, Going to the gym!!!!

That is until I turned my lights on for only 6-8 hours a day, and put 5 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide after a bi-weekly 25% water change.
I hope I was of help.

TagTeam

No. It will stay for ever and ever and never leave, growing in massive amounts on all over your plants and decorations. Whenever you take your plants out to clean them of the algae, It will all grow back in 2 days. You will wonder what the meaning of life is as you constantly scrape off the algae from the plants. You will want to leave the hobby and start knitting, or worse, Going to the gym!!!!

That is until I turned my lights on for only 6-8 hours a day, and put 5 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide after my bi-weekly 25% water change.
I hope I was of help.
How much hydrogen peroxide would you use for 20 gallon & 25g tanks each dose?

Kathryn Crook

Scroll up and see my earlier post. You have to minus how much substrate and goodies you have in your tank vs how much water...then dose accordingly. So 1.5 = 1 gallon. If you have a 20 gallon tank with substrate...you may be conservative to give it 15 gallon of water...so work with that. 1/2 teaspoon is 2.5 ml.

logqnty

I would go to this article, as the person who wrote this is who gave me this advice.
but I have been dosing 5ml for my 20 gal after each WC.

*disclaimer*
I have been doing 50% WC + hydrogen peroxide dosing for the past week to fight fin rot.

-Mak-

I would full dose ferts, the plants will need to be healthy in order to outcompete the algae. Do up to 50% WCs to remove more organics. Continue dosing excel

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991
  • Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
aditya27
Replies