Will Goldfish eat young platy fish ??? Question 

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone, I had a quick question. I moved some young platy to my 10 gallon tank which houses 1 betta 2 mollies a gold fish and 1 black moore. When I put them in there was 16 babies about 8 weeks old, healthy and I thought they would be ok and not get eaten because of their size ( large) and the other day (7/4) they were all there but last night I searched the tank (temporary home for them) and I only found 4 of them. I looked under every plant and hide out and could not find any more. Can and will goldfish eat them? And why? Needless to say, I have taken the 4 that are left and moved them. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they can, and yes they will.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish eat other fish if they can catch and swallow them.

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like that has been happening, but I just can't imagine them eating them because they were about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long and really fat. I am soooooo frustrated with that goldfish. She is huge herself, would she survive in a KoI Pond?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most likely. What would make you think it couldn't?

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I Don't know, just thought she wouldn't be able to handle it, water temp and all that but they are cold water fish sooooo, I have a friend that has a pond, maybe she can take her. It's either that or set up yet another tank. LOL all this is new to me and its a little upsetting. Oh well Live and Learn ...... Thanks for the answers.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your common goldfish will get bigger than a foot, and doesn't belong in a 10 gallon tank. She'll be better off in your friend's pond.

Your black moor will also get pretty big, and should be in at least 30 gallons.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What Meenu saids. I think they both be better off in ponds and they are coldwater fishes and should not be house with tropical fish. Either in a pond or a large tank with other similar sized coldwater species that will get along with goldfish.

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I knew they would get bigger but not that BIG !! Yikes. I was told they adjust their size according to their tank.. Will the Black Moor eat the babies too? By the way, the Black Moor turned all orange after a spike in the temperature in the tank. I don't use a heater, Their tank light turns on at night and keeps the tank heated to a comfy 74 degrees.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jill, does the light on at night mean they don't get any dark time?

If a fish can catch a smaller fish and it fits its mouth, it will get eaten. Stunting fish is a very bad thing. It's a misconception in aquaria that this is okay for the fish.

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where my tanks are is a dark area of the house so that during the day they get minimal light if any. ( only 1 window on the south side of the room) I turn the light on at night so that we can enjoy the fish and keep the temp steady. I guess someone should inform the employees where they sell fish because they were the ones that told me about adjust size to their tank. UUGGHHHH .. You guys have been very helpful.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feel too bad Jill, it's a pretty common misconception perpetuated by unknowledgeable employees. We've all been there.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish are temperate fish, which means they live in warm water in the summer and cold water in the winter. Only in our fish tanks do they get a constant temperature year round.....and San Diego.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
72 and sunny, every day!

jillpenta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update..... Goldfish and Black Moor are swimming with the big fish in a KoI Pond. Funny thing is that the 4 inch Black Moor was biting at the tail of the large fish.. LOL Brave little guy isn't he ... Thanks everyone for your help. All is calm in my community tank now.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would also point out that your mollies will likely get to big for your 10 gallon, reaching about 4" each, and bettas do not make good community fish. It stresses them out way too much and either they become super aggressive and attack everything else in the tank (if they can catch it) or they become absolutely terrified and hide all the time and lose their color (had this one happen). Just letting you know.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads