Will goldfish and pleco be ok in a 55 gallon tank together?

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got a 55 gallon tank for my 2 goldfish and was wondering if I could put a pleco in with them. Thanks in advance!

~Hannahfish

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What temperature do you keep the tank at, can your filter handle the bioload, and what kind of pleco?

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
x

We haven't set up the tank yet -- from what I understand, goldfish need cooler water and plecos need warmer -- what temp would be ideal for a mixed tank? Ditto on the filter; we don't have one yet -- any suggestions?

p.s. -- it's a common pleco

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You want lots of filtration with such messy fish. I would go with a canister, one that does about 275-300 gallons per hour of filtration. If you go with a HOB, you want a minimum of 550 gph, but I urge you to spend the extra money and get the canister.

You can probably keep them together. Maybe about 74 degrees?

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm

Oh, and welcome to fishlore, if I haven't already said it.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As long as the water temp stays above 70 degrees but below about 76 degrees you should be fine. You may want to get a heater and set it and 70 or 71 just in case the water temp starts to drop. That would allow for the temperature fluctuation that the goldies like but would keep it from changing too much which might bother the pleco. I have two sailfin plecos in my pond with my goldies and they all get along just fine. I agree with going with a canister filter. You are going to want the most filtration you can get since goldies and plecos are both high waste producers. Monitor your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels and that will let you know how often you will need to do water changes. Smaller water changes more often would be better than waiting till it builds up enough to have to do a large water change. What kind of goldfish are they?

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
x (Again) For your help, we have 1 common and 1 comet goldfish.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The comet may eventually need more swimming room than the 55. They are very strong swimmers and can get over a foot long.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads