Will Glofish school with others of a different color

fishnovice33
Member
So my tanks are always natural. Heavily plants, rocks, wood, moss.

I am setting up a new one and my girlfriend is begging me to put Glofish in there. At first I said no, but since they’re not injected I agreed. I honestly don’t like bright, unnatural neon colors whether it be plants or ornaments etc. but she loves them.

Anyways it appears all Glofish mutation are schooling species (coincidence?) so they’ll need to be kept in a pack. My girlfriend wanted one of each and of course I informed her of their needs.

Since I have zero experience with Glofish only the species themselves I am wondering if they are like cories and will need to be with schools the same color (though I know technically cories are different species not just colors)?

The species themselves are all naturally the same color so does this mutation change their needs to be in the same color of school or could they be all different colors as long as they’re the same species?

I want them to be happiest so anyone know if they care/prefer one way or the other?

People must buy them based on color because they’re always in odd numbers in the store, even being schooling fish makes me feel bad for them.
 
AquaticQueen
Member
The glofish tetras? As long as they are the same breed of fish, they will school together. It doesn't matter if they are different colors.
They should be kept under black light, neon plants, etc. I would also do black substrate, but that's just my opinion.
 
  • Thread Starter
fishnovice33
Member
AquaticQueen said:
The glofish tetras? As long as they are the same breed of fish, they will school together. It doesn't matter if they are different colors.
They should be kept under black light, neon plants, etc. I would also do black substrate, but that's just my opinion.
Any of the Glofish...they are all schooling species, well except the new Betta.

I do have black substrate but was not aware they needed a black light and neon plants...is that just a suggestion to make them look better? They wouldn’t be fine with natural lights and real plants? Because neon fish are one thing but they’ll be mixed with other natural fish and putting in some crazy ornaments is not going to happen!
 
Mcasella
Member
They do not need to be under a black light, in fact the black light should be limited to only a couple hours a day because it can damage their (and human) eyes if left on all the time. They do not need brightly colored plants, live or fake plants do much better in natural colors.
They are pretty much just skirt tetras for needs (though they do need stable warm water more so than the regular white or black skirt, at least 76 otherwise they seem to struggle some).

Keep your regular decor and just have the alien colored fish darting around. They like to be in a group, they will school with any skirt tetra, whether normal or glofish or even long finned skirts.
 
  • Thread Starter
fishnovice33
Member
Mcasella said:
They do not need to be under a black light, in fact the black light should be limited to only a couple hours a day because it can damage their (and human) eyes if left on all the time. They do not need brightly colored plants, live or fake plants do much better in natural colors.
They are pretty much just skirt tetras for needs (though they do need stable warm water more so than the regular white or black skirt, at least 76 otherwise they seem to struggle some).

Keep your regular decor and just have the alien colored fish darting around. They like to be in a group, they will school with any skirt tetra, whether normal or glofish or even long finned skirts.
So technically I could have 1 glo fish skirt tetra and 8 normal skirt tetras and the alien fish wouldn’t be an outcast or any less happy?
 
Mcasella
Member
fishnovice33 said:
So technically I could have 1 glo fish skirt tetra and 8 normal skirt tetras and the alien fish wouldn’t be an outcast or any less happy?
Correct, I normally suggest people get a mix that way it doesn't cost as much, normally the white skirts do the best with glofish skirts, doesn't matter the color with the glofish. I like how the red glofish and the white skirts look together (peppermint), or you can go red and blue glos with whites, or even reds, greens, and whites (watermelon).
 
BigBeardDaHuZi
Member
I am pretty heavily in the natural side of fish keeping, but I have seen tanks that went the black gravel, neon plants route, and I'd have to admit, they looked pretty cool.

I don't like the dyed fish, but we have a few zebra danios swimming around that are a neon green because my three year old wanted them.

To be fair, if she wanted s neon plant to go into that planted tank, I would probably say No
 
JayAlva
Member
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I am pretty heavily in the natural side of fish keeping, but I have seen tanks that went the black gravel, neon plants route, and I'd have to admit, they looked pretty cool.

I don't like the dyed fish, but we have a few zebra danios swimming around that are a neon green because my three year old wanted them.

To be fair, if she wanted s neon plant to go into that planted tank, I would probably say No
I've moved away from glofish as well when i got back into the hobby it was because of my daughter
Kids see these things and naturally ask for them because they're so bright. I've phased them out of my tank but man these guys are really hardy I've lost prolly 2 in 3 years I and still have 14ish . Not a huge fan of them but I respect the work that went into creating them.
 
Mcasella
Member
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I am pretty heavily in the natural side of fish keeping, but I have seen tanks that went the black gravel, neon plants route, and I'd have to admit, they looked pretty cool.

I don't like the dyed fish, but we have a few zebra danios swimming around that are a neon green because my three year old wanted them.

To be fair, if she wanted s neon plant to go into that planted tank, I would probably say No
Glofish are not dyed, which is why they were able to patent the process and make glofish not able to purposely breed or sell for profit (if they catch you lol, the globetta are easier to do this with because). They have DNA from corals and jellyfish (depending on color) that cause them to fluoresce under blue light (close to UV color spectrum, which is why you don't want it on all the time because uv can damage your eyes not just the fishes').

Glofish will do either really, really well, or you just can't keep them healthy. There isn't much in between for them.

I've used the brightly colored plants before, my tanks now are pretty much completely natural (some terracotta caves and pots here and there but mainly driftwood and rocks for hardscape and live plants for all else). If you go all neon and that aspect that can look pretty neat, but it would be a matter of preference rather than for the fish.
 
BigBeardDaHuZi
Member
Mcasella said:
Glofish are not dyed, which is why they were able to patent the process and make glofish not able to purposely breed or sell for profit (if they catch you lol, the globetta are easier to do this with because). They have DNA from corals and jellyfish (depending on color) that cause them to fluoresce under blue light (close to UV color spectrum, which is why you don't want it on all the time because uv can damage your eyes not just the fishes').

Glofish will do either really, really well, or you just can't keep them healthy. There isn't much in between for them.

I've used the brightly colored plants before, my tanks now are pretty much completely natural (some terracotta caves and pots here and there but mainly driftwood and rocks for hardscape and live plants for all else). If you go all neon and that aspect that can look pretty neat, but it would be a matter of preference rather than for the fish.
Huh. That is very cool to know. Is that how it works with all the strangely colored fish? I suppose it's just a matter of time till we get veil-tailed, glow in the dark Oscars
 
Mcasella
Member
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Huh. That is very cool to know. Is that how it works with all the strangely colored fish? I suppose it's just a matter of time till we get veil-tailed, glow in the dark Oscars
The glofish are the only ones patented with that process, there are sharks (albino rainbow), barbs, skirt tetras, danios, angelfish, and probably a couple others that haven't been introduced yet (either because they are still setting the trait or something else, right now they are releasing orange and purple globarbs as the most recent). The fluorescing genes needs to be on the surface, black and red both cover the expressing (got to see me first marble glo betta that had a big black spot on one side and a couple other black marks which covered the glofish expression) gene, so the fish picked have to have cellophane or cambodian coloring (for betta), albino or white (skirt, barbs, and sharks), the angelfish are the koi angels without black markings.
Since the gene for glofish is below the skin (in the cells) it is a little more difficult just to pick a random fish and just add the genes as it comes to more than that. oscars would be incredibly difficult because they have so much black coloring, even the "albino" oscars something have black and their surface coloring is so thick it would be hard to get the glo genes to work right.
 
BigBeardDaHuZi
Member
Mcasella said:
The glofish are the only ones patented with that process, there are sharks (albino rainbow), barbs, skirt tetras, danios, angelfish, and probably a couple others that haven't been introduced yet (either because they are still setting the trait or something else, right now they are releasing orange and purple globarbs as the most recent). The fluorescing genes needs to be on the surface, black and red both cover the expressing (got to see me first marble glo betta that had a big black spot on one side and a couple other black marks which covered the glofish expression) gene, so the fish picked have to have cellophane or cambodian coloring (for betta), albino or white (skirt, barbs, and sharks), the angelfish are the koi angels without black markings.
Since the gene for glofish is below the skin (in the cells) it is a little more difficult just to pick a random fish and just add the genes as it comes to more than that. oscars would be incredibly difficult because they have so much black coloring, even the "albino" oscars something have black and their surface coloring is so thick it would be hard to get the glo genes to work right.
Wow, even Angels. That sounds kindof like an abomination and I really want to see one at the same time.

This hobby has changed so much while I've been gone
 
JPH1970
Member
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I am pretty heavily in the natural side of fish keeping, but I have seen tanks that went the black gravel, neon plants route, and I'd have to admit, they looked pretty cool.

I don't like the dyed fish, but we have a few zebra danios swimming around that are a neon green because my three year old wanted them.

To be fair, if she wanted s neon plant to go into that planted tank, I would probably say No
Glofish aren't dyed
 
yeti79
Member
I have various colored glo danios mixed with regular zebra-leopard danios. None of them are outcast due to the coloration. Was wanting non long finned leopard but couldn't find any. Now enjoy having many color variations of same fish. Easy to identify individuals of the group that way. The special lights are not needed for them to look good and colorful.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom