Will Getting A Cory Help With Algae Problems At All?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Sxusie, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Sxusie

SxusieValued MemberMember

I have read this some place online but am unsure if it is true

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :)
    No, corys won't help as they aren't algae eaters, they need a much meatier diet.
    If you're having a problem with algae then it's best to try & find the cause of the problem & fix it as no algae eater will eat every kind of algae.
    While you wait for some more responses this thread has some useful tips & links that may help.
    Algae problems and how to deal with them

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

No, cories are mainly carnivores and don't eat algae. If you're having an algae problem, one of the best and smallest algae cleaners are Nerite snails:)

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I agree with what has already been said, cories are mostly carnivorous and won't eat algae. They are also schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 6+ so just getting a cory isn't a good idea.

I recommend finding the cause of your algae problem rather than getting a fish to fix it.
    Nerite snails are the best algae eaters.
    As for fish otos will also eat algae. They need to be kept in groups of 6+, need 20 gallons+ and can be quite delicate.
    However as I said fixing the cause of the algae would be best. Leaving lights on too long or having high nitrates can cause an algae problem. Scrubbing the algae off can help control it. Live plants will also help a bit.

5. Corydora Pro

Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Corys are carnivore bottom feeders. Why will eat any extra food that falls to the bottom which helps to keep the aquarium clean.

As for cleaning up some algae I would highly recommend a few Amano Shrimp. They eat most times of algae and dead plant matter. They have cleaned out all of the algae in my aquarium and now I have to give them algae waffers. Keep in mind they are omnivores, and therefore will also eat the fish food you put in the aquarium.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

My amano shrimp are rubbish at eating algae. I currently have 5 in a breeder box growing them out to put with a betta. Even in such a small space there is algae growing all over the sides and they won't eat any of it. They will eat algae wafers though:)

7. Corydora Pro

Corydora ProValued MemberMember

Hmmmm, weird. Mine cleaned up my whole entire tank. I know mine do prefer to eat the algae waffers and fish food but they do eat most of the algae aswell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice