Will GBR eat platy fry?

1. YoungClayB Member Member

I have 5 platy fry in my community (they are about 3-4 weeks old). Thinking of adding a pair of German Blue Rams but only if they will leave my baby Platys alone - otherwise, I will wait until the Platys are a little older/bigger. I don't want my babies to get eaten.

2. Fall River Member Member

If they are small enough to fit in the mouth, they will most likely go south. Probably best to wait. :)

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

If they can fit them in their mouth they will try to eat them. RAMS are omnivorous leaning toward the carnivorous side. They love brine shrimp, white worms, blood worms and fry if they can catch them and eat them. If your fry are big enough not to be eaten the RAMS will leave them alone.

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I know from one of your other threads you are adding other fish besides the GBRs. I would add the other fish first, a few at a time with 2 weeks between additions. This will give the platies more time to grow before you get the rams. And also look for juvie rams ( this is most likely what you will find anyway.) The platies will be too big for a juvie ram to eat, and will grow to big for a adult ram to eat before the ram reaches adult size.

5. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

They'll try, but if you have plenty of plants and other decorations as cover for the fry, they're less likely to be eaten. I have a few fry in the same tank as my ram and she's given up on trying to eat them, she knows they're too fast and there's plenty of places to hide which makes it really hard for her to catch them. :)