Question Will Frogbit Kill Off My Swords?

BettaStef

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I have no idea how to phrase my question so let me explain.

I've recently discovered my tap water has 10-20 ppm nitrates after trying to do a water change and doubling my nitrates! I tested the tap water And found out there's nitrates in the water. Bummer.

So I got some nitrazorb to bring the nitrates down short term but I'd like to add plants to take care of the problem long-term.

I already have anubias Nana, Java fern, and rosette swords. I cannot find hornwort from a place I trust near me. My tank temp is 78 so I don't think elodea will work for me either. (Unless it will? Please let me know otherwise.)

I'm kind of stuck with a floating plant I guess and wouldn't mind doing frogbit, but I was worried that if I do a floater it will block the light to my swords since the tank is low light and low tech as it is. Is that a possibility?

Or are there any other heavy water column feeders that will heavily consume the nitrates?

OP
B

BettaStef

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just keep your floating plants culled back to a reasonable level. Swords will do fine provided they have adequate nutrients available at the roots.
Thank you for the quick response! That makes me feel much better.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've also succcessfully kept Anacharis(Elodea) in my tropical tanks. It originates from colder water, but does fine in tropical as well. You could do Duckweed instead of Frogbit as this is smaller and will allow more light to the plants below. And even though it will cover the whole surface you can still scoop it out a couple time a week so it doesn't get too thick. If you have chickens, ducks, turtles, or goldfish they will happily eat your extras too!

OP
B

BettaStef

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Sheena-Phx

Good to know about the elodea! I like the way it looks so I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. Worse case is it doesn't work.
I'm actually having a hard time finding frogbit near me too. Lol I'll try searching for duckweed too.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Frogbit and duckweed is a good plant as long as you control them if they get out of hand just remove some from the setup so you have proper lighting. You can also place a airstone around the main plant area and the bubbles will keep the plants in the corners.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would be happy to send you some duckweed, you would just need to cover shipping. If you are interested of course. Also, what size is your tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom