Will Flourish Excel kill my Plants

JustABeginner

I have an algae problem in my tank especially in my substrate. I tried shortening my photoperiod, fed less, and even added algae eaters, but the algae does not seem to go away. I don't know what type of algae it is but it looks like staghorn. I am planning to buy flourish excel to get rid of the algae. I am still a bit skeptical since I've heard it kills some plants. I have a newly planted java moss, guppy grass, hornwort, dwarf sag—which carpeted half the foreground (I think the algae stunted its growth), and mosquito fern. Im wondering if Excel will harm them.

kallililly1973

Never had Excel affect any of our plants in a negative way. You could get a syringe and try spot dosing right on the algae spots. Do you have a picture of the algae and the entire tank. Depending on the type of algae h2o2 (3%) can also b spot dosed in n small amounts to help kill it. The algae will turn red or pink. Also depending on what type sometimes manual removal is necessary. Algae eaters don’t actually eat every type of algae.

bumblinBee

I've used excel with all of those plants with 0 adverse effects. Minus the mosquito fern that is, which I don't have in any of my tanks - but I doubt it will have an effect on that either.

cdwag29

I've used excel with all of those plants with 0 adverse effects. Minus the mosquito fern that is, which I don't have in any of my tanks - but I doubt it will have an effect on that either.
Interesting! When I used excel it totally turned my hornwort brown! Maybe I was dosing too often.

ppate1977

I like Excel. I think it is a good product.

ProudPapa

Interesting! When I used excel it totally turned my hornwort brown! Maybe I was dosing too often.

It doesn't hurt my hornwort. Are you sure it was the Excel causing the problem?

I'm not saying it wasn't, because I firmly believe other factors, like pH, GH, etc, can affect how plants react to things like Excel.

JustABeginner

Never had Excel affect any of our plants in a negative way. You could get a syringe and try spot dosing right on the algae spots. Do you have a picture of the algae and the entire tank. Depending on the type of algae h2o2 (3%) can also b spot dosed in n small amounts to help kill it. The algae will turn red or pink. Also depending on what type sometimes manual removal is necessary. Algae eaters don’t actually eat every type of algae.
I'm sorry I was only able to reply today but here's a picture of the algae

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_005248.jpg
    IMG_20220506_005248.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 14

SparkyJones

I'm not very good with algae identification but I'd say yes, looks like staghorn, A product called "easy Carbo" is designed to contol and eliminate red algae like staghorn or black beard. it's 2ml per 50 liters, and you can fog local areas or dose the tank.

that should turn the staghormn white and kill it, and make it acceptable to detritus eaters. HOWEVER really read the directions it's a carbon fertilizer and can cause O2 depeletion (it's an oxidizer),

Disclaimer: I kill plants every time I've tried to keep them, this product does work pretty well for fogging for algae at 1ml per 50 liters and spot treating the algae, all of it in the local area dying off in a couple days, I've never tried whole tank treatment. You can get similar results I think fogging with 3% hydrogen peroxide and spot treating, with less risk to your plants or animals, but the hydrogen peroxide can also cause oxygen depletion that risk is always there with most forms or algae eradication except good old elbow grease and removing it over and over and over.

kallililly1973

Looks more like a green hair algae to me. I would try manual removal with a pipe cleaner with the bristles or a new unused toothbrush to see if it pulls off the plants. Also like I said in my first post the h2o2 or ex Evan be spot dosed with a syringe and usually take care of a good amount of it.

cdwag29

It doesn't hurt my hornwort. Are you sure it was the Excel causing the problem?

I'm not saying it wasn't, because I firmly believe other factors, like pH, GH, etc, can affect how plants react to things like Excel.
You’re probably right. My gh and kh were super odd when that was going on, which probably didn’t help. They were VERY low. After I stopped dosing excel the hornwort seemed to do better, but that may just be coincidental.

JustABeginner

I am so sorry for the late reply I didn't have time due to school works, etc. I actually decided to buy hydrogen peroxide instead since excel may be a little bit too expensive for me. This is a 10% H2O2 solution, how do use this?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
kellerjake2004
Replies
Views
JasonOz
Replies