Will fish tb spread to spawn??

Gingyjena29

Hello, I’m pretty sure I lost a batch of swordtails due to fish tb that took a while to appear so even tho they were quarantined for about a month I thought they were safe to put into my community tank. Now going by the assumption that I was correct …( I did not do I dissection I’m prego and clumsy so didn’t wanna risk it) the entire tank is on lock down and I will not be adding any new fish although most of my fish currently look fine. My question tho involves spawning my rams spawned for the first time about 3 weeks ago and the angels did today although unlikely any will survive the first few I was wondering are are the eggs automatically Carriers/infected bc the parents are?, or could I possibly remove the eggs and care for them on my own in its own non infected tanks?

SparkyJones

Fish TB, Mycobacterium can live in water without fish, it doesn't need a fish population to stay alive and reproduce.
horizontal transmission (fish to fish), and vertical transmission (mother to offspring) also occurs as well as waterborne infections if it is present in a tank.

You should be very certain that's what you are dealing with before doing anything rash. Many fish aren't susceptible to it unless stressed and lowered immune systems. and the mycbacterium is estimated to be in 40-80% of U.,S. pet stores nationwide from sampling through testing for it. it's really common and it really doesn't do a lot unless there's a perfect set of situations where the Mycobacterium can multiply, and the fishes immune system is run down, (poor water quality, age, other illnesses or injuries prior) many fish have it/had it and it doesn't do anything to them at all. it's really a specific situation where it gets out of hand (usually factory fish farms with low pH and moderate temps from mid 60s to mid 80s, and high bioloads and lots of waste being produced)

Mycobacterium is extremely prevalent around the entire world. It's quite common.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dacocoa
Replies
Views
Lvmyfsh
Replies
Views
catsma_97504
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
jake37

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Angelfish Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom