Will female Jack Dempsey be aggressive with other females?

Friends.NotFood.
will female jack Dempsey’s show aggression towards other female jack dempsey’s?

NavyChief20
depends if there is a male around or if her fry are around. If it is just females only no males then they get along pretty well

Friends.NotFood.
depends if there is a male around or if her fry are around. If it is just females only no males then they get along pretty well
Just bought another one today but to be honest, this one looks nothing like the JD I already had. Looks maybe like a green terror but also can’t rule out JD

NavyChief20
lets see.

Friends.NotFood.
lets see.
This has to be the most unphotogenic fish I’ve ever had I’ve tried on five different occasions to take a picture but every time he sees me he runs up under the rocks I’m going to keep trying though

AD30DB2C-EEEC-487B-9F1E-DFF54D5F6937.jpeg
3080FBF3-300C-4A12-A4E5-DB0BDA5833E5.jpeg
lets see.
That’s the best I got so far. The top pic is the JD I’ve had already.

NavyChief20
This has to be the most unphotogenic fish I’ve ever had I’ve tried on five different occasions to take a picture but every time he sees me he runs up under the rocks I’m going to keep trying though
They're clever lol
20180211_191101.jpg

Ok bottom pic see the stripes across the head? Jack Dempsey. GTs don't have that. As juveniles they can look really close.

One of my Jacks
1525995048040.jpg

Friends.NotFood.
They're clever lol

Ok bottom pic see the stripes across the head? Jack Dempsey. GTs don't have that. As juveniles they can look really close.

One of my Jacks
Ok so then the one I got today is a JD then because he/she has the stripes. Now the one I already had doesn’t have any.

NavyChief20
the body striping and spots look like JD for your older one. They get more pronounced and blue. The body will darken

MikeRad89
The first fish the OP posted isn't a JD or a GT, it looks like a Texas cichlid - maybe crossed with something else.

NavyChief20
The first fish the OP posted isn't a JD or a GT, it looks like a Texas cichlid - maybe crossed with something else.
the one up high or in the center? The one in the center looks just like my female JD when she was little

Friends.NotFood.

E2662FDF-0A2C-436C-85FA-0E416B415051.jpeg
the one up high or in the center? The one in the center looks just like my female JD when she was little
I had to coax him out with food but I finally got’em lol

NavyChief20
that's a JD

MikeRad89
Post number 5, top picture. That's not a JD

Friends.NotFood.
Post number 5, top picture. That's not a JD
I seen you said maybe a Texas cichlid so I googled it and I’m about 98% sure you’re right. Mines colors haven’t popped like this ones yet but you can see it coming. Other than that they’re identical

NavyChief20
So this one?

google shot of JD

Attachments

• AD30DB2C-EEEC-487B-9F1E-DFF54D5F6937.jpeg
    AD30DB2C-EEEC-487B-9F1E-DFF54D5F6937.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 149
Friends.NotFood.
So this one?
Yes that one. I guess I had it wrong this whole time lol

So this one?
Btw in the first pic you posted of your JDs, the one in the foreground is a looker

Wraithen
Btw in the first pic you posted of your JDs, the one in the foreground is a looker
I saw one the lfs owner son brought in to sell. It was the first time in my life I liked a jd. It wasn't quite this sparkly but almost as night.

finnipper59
will female jack Dempsey’s show aggression towards other female jack dempsey’s?
Yes. There are a lot of fish species, especially in the Cichlid world where a fish can take on the alpha male/female role in an aquarium...especially if she's gravid. In nature they chase less dominant females away, but in an aquarium, where do they have to go? So the alpha subject may attack, wound, and even kill their rivals.

Kasshan
JD colors can change drastically, my female (guarding fry) has turned jet black and you can hardly see any blue jewels except for a few under the eye and throat. the mostly reliable way of sexing ive found in 3-4inch specimens is with fins pelvic, anal, and dorsal, the blue jewel scales help too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kasshan
Replies
Views
BDpups
Replies
Views
Rebiiels2012
Replies
Views