Will evaporated oil settle on the water surface? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bacrabby, Apr 2, 2010.

1. b

bacrabby New Member Member

well from awhile ago i thought it was the smoke that caused my water to slimy, so as suggested i put on an air line, but the funny thing is now the tiny bubble that are supposed to burst are just floating on the surface, my tank is near the kitchen and my mom has been doing a lot of cooking lately so my question is will the evaporated cooking oil settle on top of the aquarium water surface?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

Most of the time when you notice oil on the surface it is from the food you are using to feed the tank with.

Brian

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

its possible that oil could splash into the tank if its not covered well, I've noticed on my flattop stove that when I fry anything in a regular skillet that the oil tends to get splattered all over in very small amounts (even as high as hitting the light and vent 2 feet above the stove), so its possible. try turning your pumps off for a few minutes and see if the oil collects, for a comparison of how its supposed to look, you could take some aquarium water into a cup and put some drops of oil in it. That should tell you whether you have oil in there or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice