55 Gallon Tank Will eating pest snails harm goldfish?

Champanier

I have two tanks - one has amano shrimp, siamese algae eaters, a dwarf pleco and a few dozen small snails; the other has two goldfish, hornwort, and algae. Before I saw the snails, I moved some hornwort into the shrimp tank so the shrimp would clean off the algae. They did, but now there are snails on the hornwort. The goldfish eat the hornwort very enthusiastically, so they’re running out, while the snail hornwort is growing and filling the tank. I don’t really want to kill the snails, but I read that eating them can kill the goldfish because their shells will block the goldfish’s digestive tract. I want to move the hornwort back. Will eating snails really hurt the goldfish?

Attachments

• 866AA290-36F7-411F-8331-42CD86B0F817.jpeg
    866AA290-36F7-411F-8331-42CD86B0F817.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 14

smee82

As far as i know they dont eat snail, they might pick them up and spit them back out bug they should be fine.

TClare

Many cichlids eat small snails with no problems.

jtjgg

they love snails. i had gotten some pest pond snails on some plants, anytime i see them i crush the shell and my goldfish eatem up.

i've read that some goldfish will learn to suck the snail out of the shell. i've placed many red ramshorn snails in my main tank, and usually i find the empty shells.

Azedenkae

The carp family in general are known to be omnivorous and readily eat things ranging from leaf litter to crustaceans. Snails are probably not out of the ordinary for them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Replies
Views
Jojo205
  • blindfaith429
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Miss