Will drying a tank out completely kill ich?

Cheeto325

Reaction score
So I recently had a disease outbreak in my tank that killed off all my fish and I was just wondering if drying out the tank would kill off any leftover ich?

Also what is the safest way to get rid of ich for fish? I used meds, but it ultimately didn’t work.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If all fish are gone then ich will not last in your tank .
Ich needs fish to live .It has an approximate life cycle of 7 days .
If you kept your tank without any fish for 2 weeks it will be ich free..
Welcome and sorry you lost your first fish to ich .I use meds whenever I had an issue also .

Bexiboo

Reaction score
Theoretically yes. Ich can’t live outside of water (or without a host) for long. It’s a parasite.

I have had ich in one of my eight tanks and, to this day, after I put any equipment in that tank, I make sure that equipment sits dry for 24-48 hours (Time might be overkill but I am cautious). Before it touches any other tank it dries completely. The disease has not spread to any of my other 7 tanks I have by doing it this way.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cheeto325 said:
So I recently had a disease outbreak in my tank that killed off all my fish and I was just wondering if drying out the tank would kill off any leftover ich?

Also what is the safest way to get rid of ich for fish? I used meds, but it ultimately didn’t work.
Hello Chee...

The Ich parasite must be attached to a fish in order to start its reproduction cycle. If you empty the tank and clean the inside with a tablespoon of aquarium salt dissolved in a gallon of warm water and use a clean sponge to scrub the inside and then allow the tank to dry for a day or two, the tank will be ready to use. The best means of ridding your fish of this parasite is by removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days and adding a couple of teaspoons of aquarium salt to the replacement water every time you perform a water change. This routine will help keep the water clean and the fish healthy.

Old

Micpak

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've treated it with warmer temps (78-80) to speed up the life cycle and aquarium salt. The spots on the fish will not be fixed by salt, but when they burst to reproduce the free-swimming parasites will die so it won't continue to spread.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Micpak said:
I've treated it with warmer temps (78-80) to speed up the life cycle and aquarium salt. The spots on the fish will not be fixed by salt, but when they burst to reproduce the free-swimming parasites will die so it won't continue to spread.
HI Mic...

Heating the water will speed up the life cycle of the Ich parasite. It also speeds up the metabolism of your fish. They'll poop more. Not something you want when you're trying to improve the water conditions. The best treatment is to change half the tank water a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks and add a couple of teaspoons of aquarium salt to every five gallons of your water change water. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material when you change the tank water. When you see improvement in the fish, you can stop using the salt, and adjust your water changes to half weekly.

Old

OP
C

Cheeto325

Reaction score
Cheeto325 said:

I’d like to make an update to say that it worked and I have two new fish that are doing great, thank you for the advice.

New Threads