Will driftwood lower pH at first?

1. cwb141 Member Member

I just added a large hunk of driftwood, or swampwood, and when I tested my pH it was lower than normal. I hadn't checked before putting in the wood so it may have been low already. Does this normally happen? Will the pH even out over a couple days?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CWB. I think I just posted a link about driftwood on one of your other threads but I'll post here too. Yes, driftwood will lower your pH so be sure to keep an eye on it.
    Driftwood Notes
    Driftwood Do's & Don'ts
    Ken

3. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

You can add a chunk of coral to counterac this issue. You add it by the lb according to the size of your tank

4. cwb141 Member Member

yay!!! my pH has gone back to 6.5 and everything else is great. Water still has brown/green tint but doing 10% water changes 5 times a week has really helped that.

5. duckyluv Member Member

Gee....I bought two pieces of Malaysian driftwood hoping to lower the PH and nothing happened whatsoever. The PH was still holding at 7.8

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

To all: adding driftwood is NOT A QUICK CHANGE TO YOUR PH (normally). The Tannins in the wood slowly leach out into the tank. Different woods....different tannin levels.
    By doing regular water changes...coloring of the water and Ph will be moderated....eventually as the driftwood ages in your tank, less and less Ph change will be noted as the tannis are mostly depleted.

The Mayasian Driftwood is very hard and dense and will show less changes to your water.

I've seen the most changes in "local" found driftwoods and submerged woods. I question even if the malaysian and other imported "driftwoods" are any more than just very dense sinkable "fresh woods"....hence the large bacterial blooms and sappy stuff reported from the Mopani wood that is available.

Unfortunatly there is no hard fast rule as to how driftwood will affect our tanks...altough long term it is useful and beautiful

IMO....lol