Will driftwood help the siamese algae eater with stress?

EpikTurtle

Im thinking to buy malaysian driftwood for my future siamese algae eater. The last one I bought died (probably from stress). Will it help as there is something rather big to hide in?

RishonRJ

Sure it will help, but you can buy those aquarium decorations with holes in them and are also hollow inside.

when you buy the new fish, just deworm it(just in case). to reduce stress, you could use a mixture of 5ML Water and 5 drops of pure aloe vera juice

GlennO

Why do you think your previous one died from stress? What are the tankmates? They will rest under cover but are not overly timid fish.

EpikTurtle

Sure it will help, but you can buy those aquarium decorations with holes in them and are also hollow inside.

when you buy the new fish, just deworm it(just in case). to reduce stress, you could use a mixture of 5ML Water and 5 drops of pure aloe vera juice
How would I deworm? Do I just go and rip off a leave of aloe vera and then drip it in? Also I like natural stuff. Not really artificial.
Why do you think your previous one died from stress? What are the tankmates? They will rest under cover but are not overly timid fish.
The tank mates are 3 danios and they weren't picking on him. I thought it was stress because they wouldn't eat their food and they would just hide for most of the day

RishonRJ

How would I deworm? Do I just go and rip off a leave of aloe vera and then drip it in? Also I like natural stuff. Not really artificial.

The tank mates are 3 danios and they weren't picking on him. I thought it was stress because they wouldn't eat their food and they would just hide for most of the day
using paragaurd by API or some worm out by aquatic remedies. you can fetch them on amazon.

and your previous fish can't always die due to stress(chances are very low). it could have died due to parasital disease.

EpikTurtle

using paragaurd by API or some worm out by aquatic remedies. you can fetch them on amazon.

and your previous fish can't always die due to stress(chances are very low). it could have died due to parasital disease.
How would it be a parasite. The fish at my shop get quarantined for 2 weeks or more. They said that if they show signs then they will quarantine them for more.

RishonRJ

How would it be a parasite. The fish at my shop get quarantined for 2 weeks or more. They said that if they show signs then they will quarantine them for more.
You had mentioned it lost appetite. so probably it could be a parasite. or it could be that the water conditions are not right.

EpikTurtle

You had mentioned it lost appetite. so probably it could be a parasite. or it could be that the water conditions are not right.
My fish store said that it was fine to get him. ( I got the water tested there ) I'd doubt It was a parasite because if it was then my other fish would be acting weirdly but they aren't.

DoubleDutch

My fish store said that it was fine to get him. ( I got the water tested there ) I'd doubt It was a parasite because if it was then my other fish would be acting weirdly but they aren't.
Some proper research could prevent a lot of issues and stressed / dieing fish.
First advice : get info before buying any fish. You would have read what causes these fish to be timid and stressed.
Second advice : don't buy fish from that store. Bad advice was given. As i recall correctly you've a 30G tank.
Third : There are internal and external parasites. Two weeks qt in the store probably will show external ones but don't have to show a worminfection (as won't it in other fish in your tank for some time).

EpikTurtle

Some proper research could prevent a lot of issues and stressed / dieing fish.
First advice : get info before buying any fish. You would have read what causes these fish to be timid and stressed.
Second advice : don't buy fish from that store. Bad advice was given. As i recall correctly you've a 30G tank.
Third : There are internal and external parasites. Two weeks qt in the store probably will show external ones but don't have to show a worminfection (as won't it in other fish in your tank for some time).
What kind of info? And yes I do know what makes them stressed. Yes I do have a 34 gallon tank.

DoubleDutch

What kind of info? And yes I do know what makes them stressed. Yes I do have a 34 gallon tank.
Is this a serious question ?

RishonRJ

Probably you wanna buy fish from a different store.

EpikTurtle

Is this a serious question ?
Im just confused. Do you mean like how long the fish has been in the store for? Or do you mean what kind of fish it is
Probably you wanna buy fish from a different store.
For what reason? Would rocks be better than driftwood?

DoubleDutch

Im just confused. Do you mean like how long the fish has been in the store for? Or do you mean what kind of fish it is

I mean that every (fish)keeper should do research on the living creatures they want to buy.

If you'd have read the info on the Seriously Fish - site (or would have asked here before buying) you'd know what these fish need to thrive and have a "happy" / probably healthy life.

Fish that do best in a group shouldn't be kept as single in the first place, if you read the acquired tankdimensions to house a group you'd notice your tank doesn't come close.

3 Danios is also a tiny small group, which might cause the nasty behaviour exposed.

So lot of issues / diseases can be prevented if everyone should do proper research on the fish they want to get.
Besides treating them correctly that is the main thing we owe other living creatures in out hobby and the only way to provide them what they need.

RishonRJ

You just gotta be purely joking. no offense though, cause Double Dutch mentioned they give bad advice, and they probably sell the fish when they are in a bad state. you better buy at trusted aquariums in your area(I'm not saying to come abroad for these fish, just try to buy the best fish available in your area, and trust me, it will be worth your money.).By the way try to study how to cope up with situations where your fish needs(like when it's sick, or when it needs better water by its signs and stuff like that). just google it and you will find the answer to your question(usually)

And Yes, the rocks are better than driftwood, in some cases.

if you are using rocks, make sure it doesn't make the fish's poop to be trapped in its edges or anywhere around the tank. if it does, switch it back to the driftwood to prevent excessive ammonia mixing with the tank water.

EpikTurtle

I mean that every (fish)keeper should do research on the living creatures they want to buy.

If you'd have read the info on the Seriously Fish - site (or would have asked here before buying) you'd know what these fish need to thrive and have a "happy" / probably healthy life.

Fish that do best in a group shouldn't be kept as single in the first place, if you read the acquired tankdimensions to house a group you'd notice your tank doesn't come close.

3 Danios is also a tiny small group, which might cause the nasty behaviour exposed.

So lot of issues / diseases can be prevented if everyone should do proper research on the fish they want to get.
Besides treating them correctly that is the main thing we owe other living creatures in out hobby and the only way to provide them what they need.
Yes I do know that. When you say house a group, what do you mean? Do you mean the siamese algae eater or the danios. If your talking about the SAE then I did ask here and one of the people here said that it was fine keeping them by themselves. I did observe the danios when the SAE was in the tank but I did not see any aggressive behaviour to the SAE. My fish store also says that treating fish is a 50/50 cos it puts them in stress.

DoubleDutch

Yes I do know that. When you say house a group, what do you mean? Do you mean the siamese algae eater or the danios. If your talking about the SAE then I did ask here and one of the people here said that it was fine keeping them by themselves. I did observe the danios when the SAE was in the tank but I did not see any aggressive behaviour to the SAE. My fish store also says that treating fish is a 50/50 cos it puts them in stress.
Please read the provided Seriously Fish info in the link.

EpikTurtle

You just gotta be purely joking. no offense though, cause Double Dutch mentioned they give bad advice, and they probably sell the fish when they are in a bad state. you better buy at trusted aquariums in your area(I'm not saying to come abroad for these fish, just try to buy the best fish available in your area, and trust me, it will be worth your money.).By the way try to study how to cope up with situations where your fish needs(like when it's sick, or when it needs better water by its signs and stuff like that). just google it and you will find the answer to your question(usually)

And Yes, the rocks are better than driftwood, in some cases.

if you are using rocks, make sure it doesn't make the fish's poop to be trapped in its edges or anywhere around the tank. if it does, switch it back to the driftwood to prevent excessive ammonia mixing with the tank water.
Well here is the thing. Yes I could go to other stores but they never ever get fish in stock. They say maybe next week but they are never in. For the fish I currently have, I personally think I have adequate information but whenever I feel I need a refresh or am unsure I will look it up again.

If the rock is better then what would be better to get algae onto them?

I was thinking dragon stone.

Which one would you think is better?
Please read the provided Seriously Fish info in the link.
Is the link embedded in the fish names?

DoubleDutch

Well here is the thing. Yes I could go to other stores but they never ever get fish in stock. They say maybe next week but they are never in. For the fish I currently have, I personally think I have adequate information but whenever I feel I need a refresh or am unsure I will look it up again.

If the rock is better then what would be better to get algae onto them?

I was thinking dragon stone.

Which one would you think is better?

Is the link embedded in the fish names?
Crossocheilus langei – Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilos langei, SAE) — Seriously Fish

Apologies but think something went wrong there. Another try ! Could be another species, but info is mostly the same.

EpikTurtle

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
holty2503
Replies