Will dividing a tank with glass then sealing it with silicone prevent heat from one side?

Amaracalle

If I divided a ten gallon with glass then sealed it with silicone would I need two heaters? I know I need to filters but would I need two heaters

MissNoodle

Theres a possibility.

I mean, you could set it up without fish, heat one side and see how the other side does first before knowing for sure

StarGirl

Maybe it could work because of the small size? I agree with MissNoodle.

bogmummy

Maybe you could have some holes drilled into the glass.

Amaracalle

bogmummy and MissNoodle
I was hoping to not go thru the building and hassle of wasting silicone just to take it apart becuz it doesn’t work. And as for holes I was hoping to not have the fish exsposed to the same water kinda like a quarantine tank that has one heater but multiple slots and filters/air pumps.

mattgirl

It depends on what kind of fish you are going to have in this divided tank. If it is going to be a Betta in each side then yes, you will need 2 heaters. If you are going to have a Betta in one side and cooler water fish in the other side then no, I don't think you will need the second heater. Some heat from the heated side will radiate out to the unheated side through the glass.

Amaracalle

mattgirl said:
It depends on what kind of fish you are going to have in this divided tank. If it is going to be a Betta in each side then yes, you will need 2 heaters. If you are going to have a Betta in one side and cooler water fish in the other side then no, I don't think you will need the second heater. Some heat from the heated side will radiate out to the unheated side through the glass.
I wonder if their is any kinda thin glass that is not insulated but strong enough to not break?

redtetra

Run 2 small heaters.

Amaracalle

redtetra said:
Run 2 small heaters.
I’m trying to not run more then one Heater.

Amaracalle

I could try plexiglass, it’s strong but not good insulater

redtetra

Use an under tank heating pad.

Amaracalle

redtetra

It should be az its designed for that. Ive never used one. Just saw it once at the lfs.

mattgirl

Amaracalle said:
I wonder if their is any kinda thin glass that is not insulated but strong enough to not break?
I really think any kind of glass is going to block the heat to some extent.

coralbandit

How much warmer then the room the tank is in do you heat to ?
I think both sides will be within 2 degrees of each other ,maybe even closer if the room is not much cooler then the intended tank temp .
If the room is cooler then tank temp by more then 5 degrees I can see the one side maybe be lower ..
The thing is with cooler water on one side it will cool the other side through the glass which has the heater which will combat this , so really the cooling will eventually switch to warming the cool side ??

MissPanda

redtetra said:
It should be az its designed for that. Ive never used one. Just saw it once at the lfs.
I thought those were for reptile tanks only ? Did they start making them for aquariums? I know the reptile ones crack the glass. 2 times I've had glass crack from heating pads in my reptile tanks. One really cheesed me off because it was 120 gallon fish tank, not a reptile one so I could have used it as a fish tank after, but instead I had to throw it out.

redtetra

So I guess the best option is 2 small heaters. Just my opinion. Simple. Easy. Cheap and done.

StarGirl

MissPanda said:
I thought those were for reptile tanks only ? Did they start making them for aquariums? I know the reptile ones crack the glass. 2 times I've had glass crack from heating pads in my reptile tanks. One really cheesed me off because it was 120 gallon fish tank, not a reptile one so I could have used it as a fish tank after, but instead I had to throw it out.
I think I saw them at the store by the betta tanks. May be too small of wattage though. Probably more for like bowls.

Top Bottom