Will Different Types Of Danio School

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lost a few members of my zebra school recently, and I've been thinking of mixing a couple different types of danios in to get some extra variety. I was thinking of mixing around 7 zebra, leopard and the cosmic blue glo danio. From what I understand, they're all different types of danio rerio and the zebra and leopard are supposed to school anyway. I wasn't sure about the glo fish, but I'd assume they're fine. I just wanted to ask you guys before I tried mixing a bunch of different schooling fish together.
I was also wondering about adding pearl danios into the mix. No not celestial, just good old fashioned pearls. I know they're a different type of danio, but I ended up with one that seems fine. Pretty sure he took over the zebra school actually. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried keeping misc. danio rerio and pearl danio together, and if they seem to school well. No idea if I'd ever mix more into the rerio school, I just want to know if it's an option.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leopards and Zebras mix. Leopards are either a mutation or a result of interbreeding (long time ago, no one knows for sure). Now it happens the same way as 2 brown haired people having a blond baby does (not gonna get into genetics here).
They may take some time to make friends though, I've had a few people come back and tell me my Leopards shunned their Zebras for up to a month (or other way around).
One thing to note is that longfin & shortfin mixing may lead to nipping.

FishyMishy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good to know. I was wondering if I could add some long tails in with my zebra danios but now I won’t.

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've actually kept short and long fin together fine in about a 1:1 ratio. I'd imagine nipping probably depends on the fish's personalities and your tank's set up. I'm no expert though, so don't quote me on that.
Still, I can definitely imagine them getting nippy with how active they tend to be. I probably won't try it again if they've got a reputation for getting nippy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom