will different tetras school tgether???

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
i lost a phantom tetra to a nasty case of fin rot and pop eye-- he fought a battle for almost a month--but sadly did not make it throu treatments-- i now have only 2 phantoms and depreately need more-- however the only phantoms i find at the LFS are disgustingly covered with ick and fin rot-- i don't want that again-- but their black tetras look good and healthy-- will the two different types school together???? ?????? i hope-- can anyone help me with this decision>>>>>please...

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My experience with Black Tetras is that they're not aggressive fish..pretty cool in fact..however,based on your description of the state of the other Phantoms at your LFS,I'd recommend no less than two weeks in a quarantine tank for any new acquisitions,regardless to species

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
yaah unfortunately i don't have a quarantine tank-- but the black tetras looked much better than the phantoms--and the rtwo were in seperate tanks-- i just wonder if the black tetras will school with my two phantoms??? ???LILA

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 black skirt tetras, 1 white skirt, 1 serpae tetra, and 1 silver-tip tetra...and only the 3 black skirts swim together. They all get along well, except for the silver-tip (we named him Meanie) who chases everyone...but they don't school with the black skirts. When I get the ich under control, and I get my second tank set up/cycled I want to get each kind matching mates to school with...maybe Meanie will behave when he gets some more silver-tips to swim with.
What about buying fish online? I'm new, so I don't know anything about that yet... others here at Fishlore would be able to help most likely...
Good luck and nice posting to you!

Denise

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks denise--i never thought of buying online-- will have to look into that-- i love the phantoms we just can't find them anywhere or they are all infectious :'( but my two are lonely-- and the blacks looks good!! we'll see what the LFS has this wkend-- thanks-- LILA

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
first ask if your LFS has all their tanks on seperate systems. If their on seperate systems the fish are probably ok. But if their all on hte same system even if they look ok they are being exposed to the diseases the other fish have. Sure wish you had a way to quarantine your fish.
Now to answer your question tetras that are shaped alike will school together.
Denise maybe your silver tip is mean because he's lonely. Thats how tertas act when there is just one. They usually chase and nip at each other and he has no one to play with
Carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
yes, I think Meanie is lonely...he came with the tank, and I will get him some playmates when I move him into the bigger tank. I think it would be too crowded to add more fish to my tank now. Also, I'm still battling ich, so don't want new fish anyway. Other than him, the other tetras all get along great. I guess because they are the same shape basically.
Denise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom