Will different kinds of tetras school together?

FinalFins

they won't school together

CoryBoi

Not likely

aussieJJDude

They may when threatened, but everyday... probs not, neons arr loose schoolers in my experience and remain in a loose group within the aquarium.

ProudPapa

My neons don't even stay together, much less with another species.

Dennis57

My neons don't even stay together, much less with another species.
Really? How many do you have in the tank?

ProudPapa

Really? How many do you have in the tank?

I have ten right now. There's usually 6 - 8 together in one group, with the rest wandering around in ones and twos. It was the same way when I had 16.

Rummy nose tetras are supposed to be one of the varieties that stay closest together. I currently have six. There's usually four or five together, with the other one or two off doing their own thing.

Dennis57

I have ten right now. There's usually 6 - 8 together in one group, with the rest wandering around in ones and twos. It was the same way when I had 16.

Rummy nose tetras are supposed to be one of the varieties that stay closest together. I currently have six. There's usually four or five together, with the other one or two off doing their own thing.
That's crazy, I have 11 in 1 of my tanks and they are always within 2" of eachother. Yes Rummy nose are the same I have 6 in 1 tank, always together and very active swimmers

saltwater60

My ember tetras do spread out. My green tetras stay pretty tight. They don’t school together.

MacZ

Most species named in this thread are shoalers anyway. I got 7 fully grown (almost 2") cardinals in a 20gal. They only school when afraid/startled or waiting for food. Otherwise they keep 5-7" of distance to each other while foraging or resting.

Edit: Just shot a video of the "non-schooling" behaviour. I'm in the process of uploading to YT right now.

Edit pt. II: This is my usual observation.

GlennO

I haven't kept tetras for a long time. I wonder if tank size makes any difference? Would they be inclined to school tighter in a large spacious tank?

MacZ

I think I heard that in a zoo documentary last year, when George Farmer worked on that big Sumatra tank in Hamburg. They interviewed the aquarium curator and he mentioned that. But although this is a specialized biologist, I wouldn't know of any study that can back that up. But anecdotal info seems to go that direction quite often, so maybe there is a regularity behind it. Some species can be brought to school by other factors like current it seems. My experience is rather that schools disperse when perceived danger is gone and the fish are fully acclimated to the tank.

In my opinion species that don't usually school tightly packed are stressed when schooling. So I would not recommend inciting them to school tighter than they do on their own.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AvaTheFish
Replies
Views
AJE
  • Question
  • Randomfishlover
  • Tetras
Replies