Will Different Cories School Together?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by tum0r, Apr 22, 2018.

1. tum0rValued MemberMember

Say if I wanted 6 cories, could I get 2 pepper cories, 2 albino cories and 2 jullii cories? It's not so much that I want that schooling effect where they group together, that doesn't matter to me, I'm just concerned because I know they feel more comfortable in schools. So rather than "can they school together" I'm rather asking "can different cories be kept together and be provided with the social interaction they need/the schooling feeling they need to be happy"? Sorry if that's kind of confusing haha

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Social interaction is only with their own species (and some unwanted crossbreeding is result of a shortage of their own species). So get 6, 10, 20 or more of the same species.

3. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Not really... they'll interact somewhat, but they won't group together.

4. tum0rValued MemberMember

That's a shame, but I appreciate the responses!

5. luckdownWell Known MemberMember

See a lot of people say no. But mine are never apart. I have 2 pandas, 1 julii, and 2 bronze. I know these numbers arent correct by any means but they do all stay together.

Though these were all gotten from tanks where they had no other cories with them. So it could just be they're glad to finally have company

6. tum0rValued MemberMember

Well, that's quite an interesting result, probably safer for me to just get the 6 or so of the same kind though haha, thank you for sharing :)

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You can mix albinos and bronze, they are the same which is C. Aeneus so they will school together.

8. luckdownWell Known MemberMember

Yeah definitely better to get 6 of the same kind. But to say different ones won't be social together is wrong cuz they will

9. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

My Julii and Panda's aren't really social. He meanders into their group every now and then, but mostly not. Just picked up a little buddy for him, and will be adding more in a little while. Except the new baby Julii is a little confused and hangs alternately with either right now.

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Though theoratically correct I hardly see them shoal and interact hahahaha.

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

We're talking about two different things here. Yes they can live together, no they won't interact socially as they normally do / should. Of course they're together when there are too few of one species.
    They are social fish needing company. If one's lonely they search for comfort with another species.

You'll be amazed what social interaction looks like in a bigger shoal. It is really great to see.

12. luckdownWell Known MemberMember

I'm aware it's different. But they do still interact. Though honestly with mine there's not much difference between what they do and that video you sent. (Including when they decide to eat and when they decide to sleep - sometimes they'll go off in pairs but they don't pair off with their same kind)

What I'm saying is that even though they should be in correct numbers of their own kind (which yes I agree with completely) to say they won't be social with other species isn't true. Now that might not be the case with everyone but you can't say they won't in 100% of all cases.

It's much like saying no betta can be housed with another fish. While this seems to be the case for a majority it's not exactly true.

13. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

One example does not make it a fact. Exceptions to the rule don't make the rule obsolete.

14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I didn't mean to say you were completely wrong. But interaction and social interaction as fish naturally do is different to me. There are examples of mollies or DG's interacting with Cories (most social fish existing to me) but that won't fullfill their needs in a natural way.
    Had a single dwarfchain loach that tried to interact with my C.habrosus. They didn't understand him hahaha. Rehomed it to a proper shoal and of he went.
    There is a lot of interaction but they feel better with their own species.

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

There are some species co-existing in schools together. There even is a tetra looking like C.hastatus and operating in the same school hahaha (and often caught together)

16. luckdownWell Known MemberMember

It's not just one example though. Other people have similar results it's just the minority.

I'm not saying the rule is obsolete. I'm saying it's not always true. There's a difference.
    I agree with that. It wouldn't be natural but that doesn't mean it simply wont happen no matter what.

Oh yeah my bronze cories like to try and play with one of my female swordtails but she wants nothing to do with them. But even if she did go along with it that isnt anywhere close to the same as them with other cories.

I just don't like that people on here are so quick to jump towards no you can never do that! And then when someone says it works in their tank they're then quick to focusing on the new person being wrong. I believe people should be given all the information not just what happens for the majority of cases.

And I never once said that having a mixed group was better. I've mentioned in all posts it's better to have correct numbers with your cories

17. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think we all want the best for our fishies. Had 3 pandas for some time with my bronze. Now they're even more happy with their own species. 536ec2890a4d440a4518f945d4a61904.jpg

18. Michael HammondNew MemberMember

My 7 Corydoras Imitator school together with my 7 Brochis Splendens. I feel there is over emphasis on 'schooling'. Fish that are stress free generally break their school anyway.

19. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Oddly enough.. I had 3 turquoise rainbows that were never really together. I added 2 more, and they all now stay in a pretty decent bunch.

20. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

But you've enough of both to make both "feel happy". You're right about behavioir while being stress free. All my Cories (except the 4 big C.aeneus) operate alone or in small groups throughout the tank.

But the original question was about social interaction to my believe. Therefor they need their own species.