Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Will Dario Dario (scarlet Badis) Get Along In A Community With Danio Rerio (zebrafish)?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pbp, Mar 24, 2019.

1. pbpNew MemberMember

Hey people,

I am thinking of adding some Dario dario (1 male and 2 or 3 females) into one of my communities, currently consisting of 20 Danio rerio and some shrimps. My Danios are very peaceful but (like probably all) extremely curious, fast and greedy.

I'm sure the zebras wouldn't do any harm to the scarlets and wouldn't care much about them after a few hours of curiosity. What I am not sure about is if the Darios would get enough food (without me constantly overfeeding the tank). I've read that they are more of a retreating nature while the/my Danios are bold as heck and would probably take food form a predator's fins.

Since I've never had Dario dario, I don't know how to exactly understand "retreating". My Amano shrimps should be retreating, too. But they've learned to swim upside down at the water surface to catch fish food (flakes, dried daphnia). Sometimes I feed tabs - the Amanos gang up, push back the Danios, take the tab and swim with it into a cave.

Does anyone have experience with both of them? Or with the Dario dario in a community with other boisterous fish? Can this community work? The overall tank conditions like water and temperatures fits for both of them. It's a 150 liter/40 US gal. tank.

pb.

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I had mine in a community tank without any problems. Just be aware that they dont normally take to flakes so will need live food. So if you feed the danios flakes first they should get enough.

I kept mine with a large 200-300 shrimp so they could hunt the babies and fed them microworms daily and live daphnia 2 or 3 times a week.

Also dont feed them blood worms as theyre bad for their health.

3. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I kept these fish back when they were Badis badis; they are beautiful, easy to keep, but I found them very shy and retiring. I had them in species tanks, and also tried them in a community setting, and I felt they just don't play well with others. They tend to demand live or frozen foods, and they take their sweet time eating; by the time they decide they want it, it's usually gone.

I would keep them only with small fish that aren't too boisterous; small Cory cats, Kuhli loaches, Heterandria, some of the tiny Gouramis, etc. They would be ideal in a heavily planted shrimp tank; in a setting like that they would be on display constantly.

I can't see them doing well with a bunch of fast-moving Zebras.

By the way, I have Amanos now...there is absolutely nothing shy or reticent about them. Badis...er, I mean, Dario...is much shyer. I meant RCS, or similar smaller ones.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. pbpNew MemberMember

Thank you. I am aware that they won't become fans of dried food. I am feeding live food every second day anyway - but the Danios are getting really nuts then, so I'm afraid the Darios wouldn't find anything left unless they would actively go "on the hunt" together with the Danios. If they take their "sweet time" eating, like @jjohnwm says, that maybe won't work out well.

I am thinking of setting up a new tank for Danio margaritatus, so maybe that's a better fit then.