Will Crypts Regrow From Broken Off Leaves?

Zach72202

Most of my experience with plants is stem plants and moss. I seem to have a gift with java ferns as well, but besides the point.

I recently bought like 7 species of crypts at a swap meet and I put each type in different tanks, because I would never keep any of them straight.

The crypt in question is Crypt. Undulata (at least I'm pretty sure lol)

My fahaka puffer got a little too friendly with it and snipped a few leaves off of it, so I planted them in another tank with what is left of the plant. Is it possible for crypts to root their leaves like stem plants can? I have, what I think is crypt spiralis, that I think I did this with. I bought it as Corkscrew val, but it doesn't look like that at all, so I have hope crypts can do this, whether it is slow or not.

carsonsgjs

I think as long as you have a portion of the root with some stem growth on it then you should be able to get it going again.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

There has to be some of the root system left, not just a stem and leaf.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

Thanks for the replies! It didn't look like any root was left, so I won't put any faith into it. I suppose I will just plant them and see what happens!

Upvote 0

JavaMossMan

If your trying to propogate crypt. spiralis it should send runners by itself like jungle val. I bought some recently and there were two runners coming off the main plant. Good alternative to jungle val. if you have soft water.

Also crypts will not regrow from broken leaves or stems like other plants would. They spread via runners.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

Never seen crypts' broken leaves doing it.. they just turn yellow and die in my case. So far, the only plants that I found that are capable in doing this is Java fern (ofc), Water Wisteria, and Bacopa monieri (very rare)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
justonemorefish
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views