Will Cories Like This Gravel! (Pics)

justkeepswimming123

You must be registered to see images

They pebbles are 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch and the river stones are several inches.

gijoe0221

Corries really need sand, not gravel. They like to sift through sand, and they can't do that with gravel.

e_watson09

The big problem with gravel isn't just that they want to sift through the sand, they hurt themselves on gravel by breaking off their barbs.

ZombieKeepr

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree ... I've kept my school of a dozen +[that's ever growing] bronze cories[plus a couple of a few other species] over gravel in a 40gB and no cory, in the 9 years I've had them, has broken a barbel.

Here's a recent picture of the 3 leopard cories in that tank with how the gravel is. I've had one of them for as long as the bronze cories, too being only in gravel tanks:

My friend Robyn has had similar success:

I don't understand the thought process behind people thinking sand is needed for fish. In tanks, it's been the only substrate I've ever had issues with. It discolors fast, it gets compacted/goes anaerobic despite snails stirring it up along with it being stirred every week, sand based tanks require cleaning more often because the visibly show the filth and you can just tell the fish get more ... stressed, quickly. Plain old pea gravel seems to be the best substrate I've personally used.

bmb0214

I have gravel the same size & shape as zombie, standard aquarium gravel. I've only had them a few months now but their barbs are fine. They flit and zoom around just fine and I've even seen them "digging" around a bit.

Your gravel looks smoother and more rounded than what I have, I would think they would be fine. I think it's more of a personal preference thing.

Gordinian

I agree. While cories would certainly enjoy sand they can do just fine on gravel as well. I used to keep 6 peppered cories in my 20 gallon long with gravel and they did fine. Now I keep 7 pygmy cories in my 10 gallon with similar gravel to what you have and they're going great!

tropicalfishlover

They should be fine. Like Gordinian said I think they would prefer sand but would do fine on gravel. I've had my 8 cories on gravel for almost 7 months and haven't had a problem so far.

escapay

I'm in agreement with the majority saying your gravel should be fine. It is rounded nicely. I'd be more concerned if it was sharp and pointy.

I had my Panda Cories on a mixture of gravel and fluorite without any issues, though that was only for a month or so for quarantine. They are now on sand since my show tank is sand.

justkeepswimming123

Thank you for all the opinions I appriciate all of your thoughful thoughts.

Crunchy

Yes I have kept cories on ADA amazonia gravel and they are just fine.

justkeepswimming123

I think eventually I may add some sand or dirt (mud? Lol!) to a section of the tank so the cories will be able to have a "playpen"

_Fried_Bettas_

My tank has EcoComplete for the plants, but it is great for the large school of corys I have in there because it is essentially a mixture of a fine sandlike soil and lightweight gravel that they easily move around. But it is not cheap and probably a waste of money if you don't want plants.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I also have the small river rock substrate in my 33g long tank with 6 Emerald Cory Cats and they are doing just fine.

Ken

_Fried_Bettas_

Good morning,

I also have the small river rock substrate in my 33g long tank with 6 Emerald Cory Cats and they are doing just fine.

Ken

Yeah, corys are real good at getting in-between the pebbles even if they can't move them much.

Dan12boy

Okay so I’d like to add some pygmy cories to my 20g long which has now 3 guppies, soon to be 4 and a couple bladder snails. I have gravel thought since I didn’t think I’d be getting any fish requiring sand. It seems like cories like sand but some people say they do fine in gravel as long as it’s not sharp so I’d like to know if my gravel would be okay for them or not. There’s a picture of the gravel. It’s nighttime so I didn’t put the light on to not spook my guppies and instead took a quick photo with my flash on.

Cinabar

Looks good. If you can run your hands into it without it hurting you should be fine

Dan12boy

Looks good. If you can run your hands into it without it hurting you should be fine
Really?? Omg yayyy yes I can it's not sharp at all. How many pygmies though? I still want other fish so I'd like to know the amount I could keep in there.

Qzar61

Whew! I've have 2 dwarf corys in gravel for 3 months and np. In fact I'll put a third of a algae wafer and if a BA tetra gets it caught in between a stone the corys have at it. Quite amusing. Anyway I want to add 3 more to increase the socializing.

DoubleDutch

Personally I wouldn't keep Corys on this sized gravel (smooth or not). And certainly not dwarfs. Think about making a sandbeach in conbibeith C.pygmaeus (lot in midwater)

BTW : corys hardly get any nutrition from algaewafers. They're not algae-eaters but mainly carnivorious.

HKsai

Maybe bigger cories. Definitely not Pygmy cories. Gravels are too big for them. Not to mention I like the grind my pellets up so they can slowly forage for it. With gravels, it will just go between the cracks and contaminate the water.

Qzar61

Personally I wouldn't keep Corys on this sized gravel (smooth or not). And certainly not dwarfs. Think about making a sandbeach in conbibeith C.pygmaeus (lot in midwater)

BTW : corys hardly get any nutrition from algaewafers. They're not algae-eaters but mainly carnivorious.
Yeah they are more like a once a week thing and my tank is too close to a window to do it often. I give them freezed dried bloodworms like every other day. They skim the top for flakes both regular and betta which I believe is more designed for carnivores.

Anyway, would you suggest a change to sand? It's not too much if a hardship for a 20 long and I'd really like to add 3 more dwarfs. Finally, should I do my best to get green emeralds? ,I get mix messages about mixing breeds. Thanks for your feedback.

Katie Dawn

Yeah they are more like a once a week thing and my tank is too close to a window to do it often. I give them freezed dried bloodworms like every other day. They skim the top for flakes both regular and betta which I believe is more designed for carnivores.

Anyway, would you suggest a change to sand? It's not too much if a hardship for a 20 long and I'd really like to add 3 more dwarfs. Finally, should I do my best to get green emeralds? ,I get mix messages about mixing breeds. Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate hearing from all of our fellow fishkeepers when I ask corydoras questions, but I always give DoubleDutch (and Coradee's) suggestions/advice a lot of weight as they have tons of experience and give great advice!

To your question, if you can switch to a sand substrate I'd definitely recommend it! I did a switch from gravel to sand as well and was glad I did. Sand makes it much easier for cories to get their food in their mouth. Here's a REALLY cool video Coradee posted awhile back showing how cories eat! There's lots of good info in this same link too. Corydoras FAQ | Corydoras Forum | 173581

Bruhineedhelp

I'm sorry to disappoint you but that gravel looks pretty ragged to me. I would get a sandy or dirty substrate because dwarf cories have very delicate whiskers and its not worth the risk because there whiskers are like fingers for them.

DoubleDutch

What do you mean with "green emeralds".
Those are C.splendens, one of the bigger species

Qzar61

What do you mean with "green emeralds".
Those are C.splendens, one of the bigger species
Idk maybe they are not those, like I said, neither are close to 2 inches and I have had them for over 3 months.

Dan12boy

Thank you guys for all your replies!! I changed to sand like a month ago and I’m loving it, I just got my first batch of Pygmy cories unintended today, 3 of them since that’s all that was left in my lfs, they seem to be doing pretty okay, fed the tank so they’ve been foraging for food, it’s like they forage for a little then rest then continue then sometimes swim to the top to gulp air or something then swim a little in the middle then go back down. They’re great so far!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
naterock15
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
BackyardFish
Replies