Will Coral Sand Increase Ph Like Crushed Coral?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ivyninja, Aug 22, 2019.

1. ivyninja

ivyninjaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    My pH has dropped to 6.4 and my cycle seems to have stalled.

I went to my LFS and asked if they had crushed coral, and he gave me a bag of coral sand. Is that the same thing, or will it at least have the same effect?

I'm planning to put a handful in a stocking in next to the pump (which is in a back compartment of the tank) - does that sound ok?

I will need to get a KH/GH test kit and eventually try to figure out how to manage levels long term, but for now I just want to get my cycle going again as soon as possible.

2. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    4 years
    If the sand is just a finer version of crushed coral than yes It'll have an effect. If youre not setting up a marine tank I question why youre using this as a substrate at all. For certain cichlids this makes sense since it raises PH but otherwise...why bother? Your Ph seems very low while using crushed coral, as it normally raises the PH I use crushed coral to bring the PH up in a african cichlid tank to around 8.0

3. OP
    OP
    ivyninja

ivyninjaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not using it as a substrate - I have river sand/gravel as my substrate. As I said in my original post, I am cycling my tank and the pH has dropped too low and the cycle has stalled.

4. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,319
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    sand will not increase ph.

5. OP
    OP
    ivyninja

ivyninjaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Regular sand or coral sand?

6. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    4 years
    If it is crushed coral it will raise PH, no question.

7. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,319
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    yes crush coral will increase ph.

8. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    "Coral sand" isn't really purely coral but rather exoskeletons of marine animals, mollusks and limestone sand. It does contain limestone but I'd be hesitant putting sand into the filter area because of the risk of damaging the impeller. The other problem with using a fine grained sand is that it packs down and water won't circulate through it very well so it may not be as effective as crushed coral or aragonite. I'd call the lfs and ask if they have aragonite. It's another calcium carbonate rock that works just as well as crushed coral for raising pH and KH.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    ivyninja

ivyninjaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. I’ve put some coral sand in a media bag in my tank tonight (not near the filter) and will see what happens overnight, but will go to my other LFS tomorrow and see if they have something more suitable.

10. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size is this tank? If it isn't too big, just buy a cuttle bone and put it into the tank.