Will Cinctura hunteria (tulip snail) eat corals?

Hecklad

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon marine tank with nothing but a live sand bed, oyster shells, sea lettuce, and of course my snail. I am considering adding some soft corals to the tank like some pulsing xenia, but as the snail is predatory, I'm worried that he might eat any that I get. Any input would be greatly appreciated

this is he
0708191736.jpg

Hecklad

Reaction score

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tulip snails get fairly large and I think you’d have a hard time maintaining that and keep water parameters acceptable anyway.
watch with the corals as a 5 gallon tank is really small and they will e difficult to maintain as well. You get a bit of evaporation and the salt level can get pretty high. Also the temp swings can be pretty dramatic as well. What’s your light source? Maybe try some mushrooms or other smaller soft corals. I wouldn’t do any LPS or SPS since you’re calcium levels and that stuff will be difficult to maintain. Good luck!

Hecklad

Reaction score
My tulip snail is currently the same size as in the picture but he will definitely outgrow my tank eventually. I might try to sell or trade him for something else

I don't have a light suitable for corals at the moment, I have just been thinking about heading that direction though. The tank is right next to my bed so it's pretty easy to top it off every morning first thing.

Do you think hammer coral or frogspawn would do alright (with due diligence of course), or are they more difficult to keep?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They aren’t very difficult to keep but the issue is they will use up the calcium very quickly in the tank and you’ll need to constantly have to test and adjust. I’d stick to soft corals honestly.

Hecklad

Reaction score
With that in mind, would xenia be alright in a small setup?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Really any coral in that small of a set up will be a challenge but yes Xenia will be a much better option. You should get a kid to control evaporation to keep salt content under control.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d really recommend you start with some mushrooms. A mix of red and purple can be a nice set up.

Hecklad

Reaction score
I will probably go for those then. Thanks for the help

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s what we’re here for!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom