Question Will Cherry Shrimp Eat fish Fry ?

sto0ka

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi,

Will Cherry Shrimp eat fish fry ?
I'm receiving some eggs by the end of the week and was wondering if I could keep them in my "shrimp" tank (There is only 3 baby cherry shrimps in there, few baby Piano snails and small colony of cyclops)

Fry will be really small. Adults are huge if they hit an 1"
Congopanchax Myersi is the fish.

Tank is filtered, established, well planted.

Best Answer - View SilverLake's answer

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
sto0ka said:
Hi,

Will Cherry Shrimp eat fish fry ?
I'm receiving some eggs by the end of the week and was wondering if I could keep them in my "shrimp" tank (There is only 3 baby cherry shrimps in there, few baby Piano snails and small colony of cyclops)

Fry will be really small. Adults are huge if they hit an 1"
Congopanchax Myersi is the fish.

Tank is filtered, established, well planted.
No they won't eat fry or eggs. If seen eating eggs it is usually because they are rotten. Corydora breeders have even seen shrimp cleaning the eggs.

Shrimp and bristlenose plecos are breed commonly in same tanks

OP
sto0ka

sto0ka

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok that sounds promising, but only thing that still bothers me is size of fry. Bristlenose fry is gigantic compared to this guys.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shrimp wont eat live fish eggs or fry, they will clean the eggs, and sometimes they pick them up to do this, which looks like they're eating the egg. As SanDiego said however, they will eat dead eggs and dead fry, a scavenger does what a scavenger does...

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
I put guppy fry in my shrimp tank and grow them for a couple weeks. They have bio film to eat, plus no predators, I remove fry when they look interested in shrimp. Usually by the 3rd week for guppies, but a smaller fish's fry could stay longer.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
SilverLake said:
Shrimp wont eat live fish eggs or fry, they will clean the eggs, and sometimes they pick them up to do this, which looks like they're eating the egg. As SanDiego said however, they will eat dead eggs and dead fry, a scavenger does what a scavenger does...
Shrimp will clean their own eggs and at first it looks like they are eating there eggs but they put them back under legs. Lol

OP
sto0ka

sto0ka

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
I put guppy fry in my shrimp tank and grow them for a couple weeks. They have bio film to eat, plus no predators, I remove fry when they look interested in shrimp. Usually by the 3rd week for guppies, but a smaller fish's fry could stay longer.
Oh this guys won't hurt shrimp for sure, adult size of this fish is max 1" and adult cherry shrimp is around 1.5"+.
This fish fry is size of 3 brine shrimp nauplii

New Threads