Will Cherry Barbs Breed in a PH of 8.2?

KristenLD

The title says it all. Will cherry barbs breed in a pH of 8.2?

Anders247

No, they shouldn't. Do you want them to? If they do, they will eat their own eggs and young unless you have a special breeding tank set up.

cdwag29

Cherry barbs prefer soft water I believe. Many fish will not breed unless conditions are optimal, and for a Cherry Barb, a ph that high is not.

KristenLD

No, they shouldn't. Do you want them to? If they do, they will eat their own eggs and young unless you have a special breeding tank set up.
I don't have any definite plans to breed them, but I wondered if it could be a possibility in the future with my pH.

ProudPapa

I haven't kept barbs, but the only fish that have reproduced in my 8.2 water are guppies and rainbowfish.

Anders247

Cherry barbs prefer soft water I believe. Many fish will not breed unless conditions are optimal, and for a Cherry Barb, a ph that high is not.
Breeding is different than normal living conditions. They'll be fine in the pH. Hardness is more important than pH for how sensitive species will be, but again, high pH and hardness are far easier to adapt to than soft water and acidic pH.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies
Views
Kelvin12
Replies
Views