Will Caridina Shrimps Interbreed?

faywayway

If you keep different species of caridina shrimps like bee, crystal, blue bolt, and tiger shrimp together, will they interbreed?

richiep

Definitely yes you can get some super colours like fishbone by crossing orange tiger with crystal reds or black bee

Attachments

• 20200124_170720.jpg
    20200124_170720.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 16

faywayway

Definitely yes you can get some super colours like fishbone by crossing orange tiger with crystal reds or black bee
So saying I had a tank full of black crystal and red crystal shrimp, blue bolt, golden bee, and tangerine tiger, they would all breed with each other? (I don't rn of course just researching)

Are they all of the same species just different colors, like neos are?

richiep

They are all caradina and will interbreed it would be interesting to see what came out of that lot mind

Akeath

Yes, they will interbreed. At first this can result in fairly interesting looking shrimp, but after a few generations their markings become quite muddled and generally less attractive, even with a lot of culling. That's why most people choose to keep a specific type of Caridina shrimp and then if they want multiple types of Shrimp will put in a Neocaridina as a tankmate rather than another Caridina.

Here's a chart that gives some of the different types of shrimp. Green checks means they won't crossbreed and can be kept together without losing their attractiveness over the generations. Red x means they will crossbreed and will be likely to produce less attractive shrimp in a few generations.
Dwarf Shrimp Compatibility Chart

faywayway

Yes, they will interbreed. At first this can result in fairly interesting looking shrimp, but after a few generations their markings become quite muddled and generally less attractive, even with a lot of culling. That's why most people choose to keep a specific type of Caridina shrimp and then if they want multiple types of Shrimp will put in a Neocaridina as a tankmate rather than another Caridina.

Here's a chart that gives some of the different types of shrimp. Green checks means they won't crossbreed and can be kept together without losing their attractiveness over the generations. Red x means they will crossbreed and will be likely to produce less attractive shrimp in a few generations.
Dwarf Shrimp Compatibility Chart
Oh so like neos they'll eventually go back to their natural coloring?

But thanks thats a really helpful way to look at it!

richiep

Black bee crystal red tangerine tiger will stay as they are as that's their natural colour

faywayway

Black bee crystal red tangerine tiger will stay as they are as that's their natural colour
Their babies I mean. Would the generations after them keep looking interesting?

richiep

I'm crossing to get fishbone and their colours improve as they go
Up to f4 are stunning what happens after that is new ground for me
They can only drop back in colour to their original state, no doubt there will be traits depression but even then they should be good
The other thing that will happen is the strain will become so delicate they will have problems id have thought
My super red Crystal's don't breed that fast and I think its a case of pushing genetics to far, they won't cope.

faywayway

I'm crossing to get fishbone and their colours improve as they go
Up to f4 are stunning what happens after that is new ground for me
They can only drop back in colour to their original state, no doubt there will be traits depression but even then they should be good
The other thing that will happen is the strain will become so delicate they will have problems id have thought
My super red Crystal's don't breed that fast and I think its a case of pushing genetics to far, they won't cope.
Oh that's very interesting, I guess we'll see if I get there lol.

Which variations are you breeding rn to try to get fishbone?

richiep

Black bee x tangerine tiger
Crystal reds x tangerine tiger
Super Red Crystal's x tangerine tiger
I've got a few f2 but it's very slow going because I'm not selective breeding but some of the early results look promising

faywayway

Black bee x tangerine tiger
Crystal reds x tangerine tiger
Super Red Crystal's x tangerine tiger
I've got a few f2 but it's very slow going because I'm not selective breeding but some of the early results look promising
That's really cool! What is "f2"?

richiep

Second generation are shrimp that come from the young of the first cross of the black bee and tangerine tiger
The first picture I posted is F1 and the second is F2
You can see the F1 is berried again and behind is the crystal red that started the strain

Akeath

Oh so like neos they'll eventually go back to their natural coloring?
I don't think it is as bad as with the Neos. More like less high grade rather than reverting entirely to wild type brown like with Neos.

Kelvin12

I came across a cardina breeding chart yesterday on Google but failed to bookmark the thing. It detailed which ones not yo keep in the same tank together because of cross breeding and loosing their colours. One that came to mind was tigers with crystal reds.

I am just venturing into cardina myself so will try to find it again later and post it here.

Keep in mind cardina are a bit finicky as oposed to neo's.

Ok just found it but can't seem to copy and stick it here but its on the Shrimp Farm site. The Shrimp Farm.com
Head to the dwarf shrimp compatibility chart.

Jayvelo

That's how u get new types by Interbreed different types?
I came across a cardina breeding chart yesterday on Google but failed to bookmark the thing. It detailed which ones not yo keep in the same tank together because of cross breeding and loosing their colours. One that came to mind was tigers with crystal reds.

I am just venturing into cardina myself so will try to find it again later and post it here.

Ok just found it but can't seem to copy and stick it here but its on the Shrimp Farm site. Shrimp Farm.com
Can u find that chart I'm interested thank

Kelvin12

Hello Jayvelo, if you do a Google search for, Shrimp Farm.com on the left on that site near the top is a list of various things. Amongst that list is says, 'Dwarf Shrimp Compatability Chart'. It gives a check list of what shrimps can be kept together and what shrimps cant. Very useful chart. I tried to paste the chart here but its not working for some reason.

richiep

Ok just found it but can't seem to copy and stick it here but its on the Shrimp Farm site. Shrimp Farm.com
Why are you saying not to keep tigers and crystals together, these two species are put together to get fishbone

Attachments

• IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 3

otterblue

By the way, Fishbone was a great band in the 90's. :)

Jayvelo

Hello Jayvelo, if you do a Google search for, Shrimp Farm.com on the left on that site near the top is a list of various things. Amongst that list is says, 'Dwarf Shrimp Compatability Chart'. It gives a check list of what shrimps can be kept together and what shrimps cant. Very useful chart. I tried to paste the chart here but its not working for some reason.
I think this is the chart you are talking about ?

Mod edit: image removed for copyright issues

Kelvin12

Yes that's the one. Your computer skills must be great than mine but that wouldn't be hard....

Maybe an admin could make a sticky out of it. Would be handy to others possibly.

Jayvelo

Yes that's the one. Your computer skills must be great than mine but that wouldn't be hard....

Maybe an admin could make a sticky out of it. Would be handy to others possibly.
It was not that hard just copy image and posted here everyone enjoy very useful thanks to you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Amber818
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Amber818
Replies
Views