Will calcium drops hurt fish?

1. Tanaya35

Tanaya35 New Member Member

Will the calcium drops hurt any fish that are with my snail?? I'm a newbie snail keeper and I have a lot to learn yet

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of calcium drops are you using?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

For the most part, probably not. Is it rated for a marine/freshwater tank?
    The only thing I can think of is there is a chance of dosing "too" much.

Why not supplement the snails with fresh veggies such as zucchini, broccoli, etc? Your snails ( and maybe fish ) will love it!

4. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

If you decide to move forward with these drops, I would recommend diluting it in some tank water before adding it just to be safe. What is your buffer like? (Carbonate Hardness KH)

5. Junne

Yes, I agree! I think most of the liquid calcium bottles have a disclaimer on it about not pouring it directly in the tank - I have also read on some that for some reason it gets hot and emits heat and could cause the water to get super hot ( or something to that effect )

6. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

I haven't bought any yet because I didn't know if they were safe or not

7. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

I'm not sure what you mean. My kh level is 80. I thought you meant the gh

8. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

I will definitely use the veggies. I would rather use natural things anyways

9. Junne

I agree, through nutrition is always better! I used the liquid calcium when I had mystery snails - they're shells seemed more fragile than my Nerites and needed that extra boost.

10. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

Yea I'm new to keeping snails and didn't realize all the upkeep they needed. Honestly I'm not even sure what kind of snail it is or if it's male or female. My little cousins named it Shelly

11. Junne

Can you post a picture?

12. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

[​IMG]

13. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

This is where it's been since I did my water change today

14. Junne

Its a mystery snail and will definitely need more calcium than other snails. As the other poster said before, you might want to check GH/KH before adding liquid calcium ( if you were planning on it )

15. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Going to toss in a few things here. If you are using a HOB filter, I would strongly recommend a pre-filter sponge so Shelly doesn't get stuck in the intake. You can do liquid calcium, but I personally haven't kept most of your types of fish, so I can't say exactly how they would react. My danio seem to not care. You can also get a cuttlebone. It is something that would be in bird section, is inexpensive, and will slowly release calcium into the water. Can drop it in your tank or in the filter.