Will Breeding Mystery Snails And Ramshorn Snails In The Same Tank Work

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by MermaidShelby, Aug 18, 2019.

1. MermaidShelby

MermaidShelbyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    or will mysterys eat ramshorn eggs? need to breed for pea puffer and fahaka. can i do it in one tank?

2. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    Well, I have a clutch of mystery snails growing up in my tank alongside quite a few ramshorns. I think you’ll be okay with them together.

3. Melmoth666

Melmoth666New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Do you just lower your tank water level a bit in order to get them to lay their egg clutch?

4. OP
    OP
    MermaidShelby

MermaidShelbyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    what about adding self replicating crayfish as another food source to breed? will they eat my baby snail supply? or what about using the same tank to hold fiddlers until fed to fahaka?

5. Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    I would guess the crayfish eat the snails every opportunity they get.

Theoretically mystery snails can co-exist with ramshorns. But just note, I had a ton of ramshorns, but as my mystery snails grew and grew, dropped eggs, and those grew and grew, there are no ramshorns to be seen. I still see some MTS, but not that many. Those mystery snails, without preditors and being so much bigger, will eventually take over I would guess, they certainly did in my tank!

6. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    I keep the water level a couple inches below the top. Apart from anything else, it discourages my female snail from forcing her way out to lay on the side of the HOB. I’ve only let one clutch develop so far, and it was laid right below the rim and did just fine.