Will Boesmani Rainbow Fish Be A Bichir Snack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently have a Senegal Bichir with 4 Boesmani Rainbowfish in a 75 gallon. There are other tankmates. The Bichir is about 4 inches long and growing rapidly since buying him in January from LiveAquaria. Will these Rainbowfish (between 2-3 inches right now) eventually become a meal for my Bichir?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They should reach 5-6" if I remember correctly. Extremely unlikely anything will happen

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What species of bichir? Most are larger than 6 inches.
Edit: oops didn’t see it in the original post

Last edited:

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They should reach 5-6" if I remember correctly. Extremely unlikely anything will happen
WOW that is huge, all the websites say that males will max out at 4 inches, while females 3. If that is the case (assuming they get 3-4) will they be alright though? I have seen Senegal Bichir eating live and it makes me nervous seeing people feeding them full size Minnows or even Goldfish (which I will personally never do for any carnivores)

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Considering that a full size gold fish is around the size your bichir will get (12") I think there's some confusion there.
I'm still confident the rainbows will be fine

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Considering that a full size gold fish is around the size your bichir will get (12") I think there's some confusion there.
I'm still confident the rainbows will be fine
Sorry, I meant full size minnows, and normal Goldfish lol, thanks for the help, now that I think about it, that would be hard for the Bichir to even catch a Rainbowfish.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It definitely would be, they're very slow compared to the rainbows and usually shouldn't be in the same level of the tank at the same time

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't risk it. Predator fish can swallow large prey, and a 75g is too small a space and very shallow. I can be fishing chest deep in waders and that's considered shallow. 75g is about 21". I don't think that even reaches my knees.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Boesemoni rainbowfish grow to a max length of 4.5 inch, not 6 inch. I currently have 3 full grown boesemoni rainbowfish in my community tank.
Also bichirs are generally peaceful with larger tankmates. Any tankmate would be fine as long as it does not fit in its mouth. So larger fish are more preferable.
Considering the fact the boesemoni rainbow fish grow up to 4.5 inches, it's still risky.
Obviously the bichir can eat them if he gets hold of them.
The chance increases if your bichir is fully grown but your rainbow fishes are not fully grown.
Its true though bichirs are slow and rainbowfish are fast moving fish, also they dwell at different tank regions.
But bichirs are predatory fish that eats live fishes, they hunt at night.
So it can get hold of the rainbowfish at night when the fish is resting.
It' possible for the bichir to prey on the rainbowfishes.
Scarlet/red rainbowfish would have been a much better tankmate for the bichir as they grow to a length of 6 inches.

Last edited:

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thanks all, I think I might put the Rainbows in my 37 just to be safe but I will do that once the Bichir grows to a more "predatory" size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom