Question Will Boesemani And Millenium Rainbows Cross Breed?

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guys, will BoesemanI and Millenium Rainbows Cross breed? Please advice. Thanks!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are in two different genera, so probably not. But I wouldn't guarantee it.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
chromedome52 said:
What about the common "Australian Rainbow" and "red rainbow" fish?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
What about the common "Australian Rainbow" and "red rainbow" fish?
Same thing, two different genera. Same answer, I couldn't guarantee it.o_O

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
chromedome52 said:
Same thing, two different genera. Same answer, I couldn't guarantee it.o_O
But I really want red Australians! Fix it! Fix it now!

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
Thanks! I know I have read about it somewhere but I would like to confirm it. I currently have 4 Boesemani’s and 1 Millenium Rainbow (male) in my DT and would like to drop a mop to breed the Boesmans. If if the won’t interbreed then I will continue my plan.

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
But I really want red Australians! Fix it! Fix it now!
I don’t think will find one

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chris_96 said:
Thanks! I know I have read about it somewhere but I would like to confirm it. I currently have 4 Boesemani’s and 1 Millenium Rainbow (male) in my DT and would like to drop a mop to breed the Boesmans. If if the won’t interbreed then I will continue my plan.
Actually, I want to say that in my research, boesmanI were actually able to produce viable hybrids. I don't recall any discussion into fertility of offspring, but I want to say there were cases of boesmanI crossing over despite differing genus with another rainbow.

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
Actually, I want to say that in my research, boesmanI were actually able to produce viable hybrids. I don't recall any discussion into fertility of offspring, but I want to say there were cases of boesmanI crossing over despite differing genus with another rainbow.
Have you had a chance to try it?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chris_96 said:
Have you had a chance to try it?
I don't have boesmani, and my source water actually kills sensitive species so I have not tried to spawn anything, nor would I. I have a HUGE spawning mop in my tank, but that's to make things convenient. I have 0 intention on spawning anything, even if the fish try for some terrible reason.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that boesemanI often hybridize with other species of Melanotaenia, but I've not been that much into Rainbows to have heard if there were intergeneric hybrids. Looks like it's time to Google!

Or maybe I'll just send a message to Gary Lange. I know he always loves to hear from me!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
chromedome52 said:
I know that boesemanI often hybridize with other species of Melanotaenia, but I've not been that much into Rainbows to have heard if there were intergeneric hybrids. Looks like it's time to Google!

Or maybe I'll just send a message to Gary Lange. I know he always loves to hear from me!
Lol, if you've got a line to him, he would probably be one of the few experts that might know.

Just looked it up, boesemanI will cross with glossi... the red dudes. Farms are marketing the hybrids apparently.

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:

Try asking the expert, that helps a lot!

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
Lol, if you've got a line to him, he would probably be one of the few experts that might know.

Just looked it up, boesemanI will cross with glossi... the red dudes. Farms are marketing the hybrids apparently.
Where you found the source? Please share... I want to read it too

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I googled about the Red Baron rainbowfish mentioned as hybrid of the two species but I can’t find any photos of it. Is this legit?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chris_96 said:
I googled about the Red Baron rainbowfish mentioned as hybrid of the two species but I can’t find any photos of it. Is this legit?
From what I can gather, it maybe used to be. I eventually stumbled on some more scholarly articles the explained why rainbowfish can hybridize between genus as well as species. A lot of them, even though they are of different genus, are still so closely related that natural hybridization has definitely happened and continues to happen in some of the less controlled farming setups. I'm hazarding a guess that all rainbows within the same sub family, are possible to cross, but outside of the sub families, are unlikely. They all do share a single ancestor from glacial times in Australia, so this is likely why they can cross so easily, as they really aren't very far evolution wise from each other.

OP
Chris_96

Chris_96

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
From what I can gather, it maybe used to be. I eventually stumbled on some more scholarly articles the explained why rainbowfish can hybridize between genus as well as species. A lot of them, even though they are of different genus, are still so closely related that natural hybridization has definitely happened and continues to happen in some of the less controlled farming setups. I'm hazarding a guess that all rainbows within the same sub family, are possible to cross, but outside of the sub families, are unlikely. They all do share a single ancestor from glacial times in Australia, so this is likely why they can cross so easily, as they really aren't very far evolution wise from each other.
I wonder what the Red Baron looks like? This is interesting!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I decided against contacting Lange, I remembered that talking to him is as unpleasant for me as it is for him.

Soo they can hybridize. Interesting.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rainbows don't cross breed in the wild but will in captivity if conditions are right. It's HIGHLY frowned upon though.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DarkOne said:
Rainbows don't cross breed in the wild but will in captivity if conditions are right. It's HIGHLY frowned upon though.
Yeah, and that mentality has worked somehow. Probably because beginners won't buy them typically, so it isn't as easy a sell as endler guppy hybrids which are cheap.

New Threads