Will BN plecos survive a cycling tank? Important

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have 2 1.5 BN plecos in a 2.5 gallon betta tank with driftwood. They are going into my 100 gallon community once it cycles. Will they survive the cycle if i move them into my 100 gal? They look so unhappy in the 2.5 and I have to do daily 75% water changes to keep up with their bio-load:( I don't want them to die in the 2.5 so I would be willing to put them in early. The tank has only been setup sense friday and has 4 mollies (long story) and TSS. Thanks In Advance!

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Plecos are hardy. Put them in, in that size tank, they will be fine as long as you don't overfeed. Hopefully you know to feed the mollies sparingly in the 100gal while the TSS works.

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Great! Thanks junebug! I feed the mollies very other day. How much should I feed the plecs? They have driftwood and I feed them algae wafers and veggies.

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't feed them while the tank cycles. They will eat microfauna off the driftwood and leftover fish food, and that will be fine. You can drop a small chunk of algae wafer in every few days if you feel they are not getting enough food, but I had one go three months and I only fed him twice, just let him munch off the driftwood the rest of the time, as he was in an unfiltered emergency QT.

5. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Alright sounds good! Maybe I will stop wiping the algae off the glass for them...

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I am worried. I haven't seen bailey my Albino BN all day:( I should be able to see her better because she is albino...

7. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

What are your ammonia and nitrite readings today?

Plecos are excellent hiders. It has to be in there somewhere.

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I'm just afraid she got sucked into the sump...I doubt it… i'm probably being paranoid. I have to go and pick up more gloves tomorrow before I test the water...

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Just for the record, no fish is guaranteed to survive a cycling tank.

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I known, But I put them in yesterday… thats why I am so nervous.

11. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406843871.968338.jpg

Still haven't found bailey:(
    I found Bernie sucking on the egg carton with apple snail eggs, should I be worried

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum