Will Betta's Fins Ever Grow Back?

shadowlark

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone!

So I've been battling fin rot with my betta, Arthur, for months now. I've tried everything under the sun. I think the rot is gone, but I don't see any signs that his fins are re-growing.

He's in a 3 gallon, cycled, heated, filtered tank. Previously had plastic plants but we got rid of those and replaced with silk in the hopes it was the plants causing the problem, but no improvement.

Water parameters are:
pH: 7
Temp: 25 C / 77 F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

What we've tried:
Jungle Fungus Clear
Jungle Lifeguard All in One Treatment
BettaFix
MelaFix
Aquarium salt - 2 teaspoons/gallon for 10 days with 100% water changes daily

I've also been making sure the water is as clean as possible by doing water changes ranging from 10% - 80% for months.

I'm fairly confident the rot is finally gone as I don't see any dark marks at the edge of his fins and haven't for a while and his fins have stopped getting worse.

BUT - I haven't see any improvement at all. Is he too far gone to have any regrowth? I just received VitaChem in the mail and have done one dose of 1 drop/gallon. The bottle says to do this once a week. Will this help? Is this dose enough to help fin regrowth?

Other than the short fins, he seems perfectly happy, swims around a lot, comes to the front when he sees me, eats well, etc. I've had him just over a year so he's not SUPER old. Is there hope?

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can see the fins are regrowing. this is going to take awhile. Also know that the fins will never return to how good they were before. they will be a bit shorter and not as pretty. Think of it as a scar.

shadowlark

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
You can see the fins are regrowing. this is going to take awhile. Also know that the fins will never return to how good they were before. they will be a bit shorter and not as pretty. Think of it as a scar.
Where do you see the fins regrowing? I really have no idea what to look for, but I have pictures from weeks ago that look exactly like this one - same shape to fins, same length...

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The little bit of clear around the edges is the fin growing back. They begin growing in clear/transparent before getting color on them.

shadowlark

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oooh....thanks!! I didn't even notice that or know what the clear meant. Will the VitaChem help the regrowth? From what I've read it will but nice to have first hand testimony!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom