Will Bettas Eat Ghost Shrimp Frys?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by cheapcouches, Apr 10, 2017.

1. cheapcouches

cheapcouches Valued Member Member

I've been thinking about adding ghost shrimps to my tank (it's still just a thought, though, nothing official) and I've heard that they reproduce fairly easily. I've done some research and it seems like my tank is ground zero for breeding these shrimp. I'm not too intent on having a million ghost shrimps in my tank, so I want to know that if the shrimps explode in population my betta will help take care of it. I understand that most will die of on its own anyways, but just in case...

Yes, I do understand that a Betta won't be the best tank mate for ghost shrimp depending on the betta, this thread is assuming that the betta leaves the ghost shrimp alone most of the time.

2. OP
    OP
    cheapcouches

Now that I think about it, this would be better if it was in the "bettas" section of these forums... oh well.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Luckily, I have some semi-personal experience on this. My friend has a Betta with her ghost shrimp and it is semi planted with a small pagoda decoration. Her shrimp actually did have some babies and so far, we only know the survival/spotted one of the many that we originally saw were born.
    Depending on the temperament of your Betta, there is a good chance that he will try to eat the babies if he sees them and is hungry enough. Plants and hiding spots could reduce this.

Hope this helps and all the best!

4. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

You will need plants with good shade (anubias, etc) and mosses (java, Christmas) for the shrimps to be safe from the betta, but he will eat some of the shrimp offspring that are not hiding very well
    Consider some moss balls because they can pick up detritus and things like that where the adults can just go and pick at their leisure
    Consider chola wood, since the offspring will pick on that and can supply themselves in the comforts of their home
    Consider cuttlefish shells to supplement calcium if gH is under 120 ppm (about 5-6 on some scales)
    Do not underfeed your betta its pellets/worms just because you think he is eating the shrimps and getting his nutrients there, the shrimps will take anything uneaten

5. OP
    OP
    cheapcouches

Since the babies will house themselves on the chola wood (I already have some in my tank) should I remove them if I suspect shrimp babies in my tank?

Remember, I'm trying to see if the betta will help maintain a stable ghost shrimp population if it increases dramatically, my goal is not to breed and raise ghost shrimp. I'd like to keep the population kind of low (no more than 4 shrimp at a time) so the tank doesn't swarm with shrimp.

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Baby ghost shrimp need brackish water to survive, so your population will probably not increase at all.

7. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

He will maintain them but you will need a nerite snail or too to help with the clean up of the leftovers
    You can keep the chola in because not all the shrimps will even try to eat it
    The shrimps will target each other and some will undoubtedly be inbred in there making the need for the nerites more important

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice