will betta's always attack guppies?

dorcy

Reaction score
I have several guppies in my tank and I'd like to get a betta. I've heard that betta's will attack guppies - is this always the case? can they never be put together?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI dorcy, I've never put my betta in with other fish. However, from what I've read it wouldn't be a good idea. Someone could get hurt or killed.

Most Bettas normally don't play well with others. I have read that they might tolerate small bottom dwellers such as ottos or cories.

He/she would probably be happier in a 5 gallon by their self.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While I have had both in a 55 gallon tank, I would be careful adding the two together.
And, remove one or the other at the first sign of trouble.

Alessa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guppies are among the worst tank mates a betta could ever have (if any). Bettas most of the time are not considered community fish, and are usually not suitable to put with nippy, agressive, or colorful fish (like guppies). Bettas are best kept like Lucy said, in a 5 gallons all by themselves, or in a 10 gallon with cories or ottos, which are among the only fish that are considered safe to put in with bettas.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I disagree.
I have kept a betta in a 55 with platies and guppies for over a year now with no problems. The betta just ignores the livebearers.

Alessa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dino said:
I disagree.
I have kept a betta in a 55 with platies and guppies for over a year now with no problems. The betta just ignores the livebearers.
That depends entirely in the individual personality of the betta. In the general sense and rule of the agresiveness of betta splendens unless there is a back up plan it should not be attempted in my oppinion, specially by beggining aquarists. You should also take into consideration that Dorcy has a 15 gallon tank... I personally would attempt anything alike unless I had at least double of that.

OP
D

dorcy

Reaction score
thanks so much for the replies. I sort of knew that guppies and betta's are a bad combo sometimes, and I don't think I want to take the chance getting a betta and causing problems for my guppies. Thanks again.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom