Will BDBS trap air bubbles?

ruud

I think you mean hydrogen sulfide. Common wisdom suggests you need a real thick layer before sulfate-reducing bacteria produce the gas. This is not true. The anaerobic layer is formed easily and quickly. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you intend to keep many plants, the rhizosphere will neutralise hydrogen sulfide as roots leach oxygen.

The other measure to take, which is perfectly in line with keeping most shrimp species in the trade, including neo's, is keeping the water cool, oxygen rich with plenty of water movement. The dissolved oxygen in the water will neutralise any hydrogen sulfide finding its way up.

Just don't disturb the tank massively at once as the gas might interfere with animals' respiration.

Upvote 0

fishietank

MTS will keep the substrate stirrred up.
Yes true, however i don't have any MTS and I'm not even sure about my LFS. So for now, that's not an option.
I think you mean hydrogen sulfide. Common wisdom suggests you need a real thick layer before sulfate-reducing bacteria produce the gas. This is not true. The anaerobic layer is formed easily and quickly. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you intend to keep many plants, the rhizosphere will neutralise hydrogen sulfide as roots leach oxygen.

The other measure to take, which is perfectly in line with keeping most shrimp species in the trade, including neo's, is keeping the water cool, oxygen rich with plenty of water movement. The dissolved oxygen in the water will neutralise any hydrogen sulfide finding its way up.

Just don't disturb the tank massively at once as the gas might interfere with animals' respiration.
Thank you very much for your input. I try to keep my tank at 72, but with the summer months that hasn't been the case. What is "cool" water in your opinion to keep the dissolved oxygen higher?

Upvote 0

kansas

Yes true, however i don't have any MTS and I'm not even sure about my LFS. So for now, that's not an option.

Thank you very much for your input. I try to keep my tank at 72, but with the summer months that hasn't been the case. What is "cool" water in your opinion to keep the dissolved oxygen higher?
I thot they were unavoidable if you have live plants.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

All my plants from the lfs have bladder and RH.

Upvote 0

ruud

Just a bit of theoretical mumble jumble, from my side. Really, I would not worry about it. My shrimp tanks fluctuate between 60 and 80 F. I would set your temp. according to the shrimp, not to hydrogen sulfide.

I don't drive a car with a helmet on either.

Upvote 0

fishietank

Just a bit of theoretical mumble jumble, from my side. Really, I would not worry about it. My shrimp tanks fluctuate between 60 and 80 F. I would set your temp. according to the shrimp, not hydrogen sulfide.

I don't drive a car with a helmet on either.
Hahah okay thank you so much.

People online seem to make the hydrogen sulfide sound so scary and lethal to shrimp and fish alike. I was suspecting it might not be as bad as they say, and I'm glad to hear that seems to be correct.
Mine came clean hehe ;)

Upvote 0

PeterFishKeepin

IK this isnt my thread but do you think sand or gravel is better for shrimp tanks, is it safer for babies in sand?

Upvote 0

ruud

Caridina and neocaridina live in sand, gravel, stone, boulder environments with moderate to fast flowing streams.

Don't overthink it ;)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BabsandLoon
Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views