Will bacteria survive in cold water?

1. ballison Initiate Member

Will the bacteria that colonized a tropical tank even survive in a cold water environment?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Your question has been moved out of mmmxpoptarts filtration thread to a thread of it's own.
    It'll get more attention this way and be less confusing.

3. samantha.h Member Member

I'm actually interested in this question because I didn't even think of that. Thanks for bring that up, ballison.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Cooler waters like water for gold fish, yes the bacteria will still thrive. Cold water as in below 60 degrees I don't know.
    Ken

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that I think they probably go dormant (in a pond type situation) just as goldfish do at 50F or below. I don't think our outdoor ponds recycle every spring when the weather warms.

I do have experience with cool water tanks though and they do cycle and stay cycled just as warmer tanks do. I kept my hillstream loaches at 65F in the winter and they would warm up to about 70F in the spring and summer.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Butterfly is correct in that the bacteria do go "dormant" in the winter along with our Koi and Goldfish.

In a cold water Aquarium they continue to grow.

At some point below 50 degrees the bacteria slows down and stops growing.

With a pond situation it is imperative not to feed your fish (no matter how hard they beg) until the the temp is between 40 and 50 (50 is the standard rule), and then not very much. This is to let the bacteria re-colonize. If you were to begin regular feeding the pond would at least go into a mini-cycle....or worse (from experience)

Technically I believe most of the bacteria dies out but the pond filter remains well seeded....it does take a bit of time for the filter tp be able to handle the full bioload. (cycling)