Will Assassin snails hurt fish? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Junne, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Will Assassin snails hurt fish? Specifically my betta. For some odd reason, my betta loves this corner of the tank and the Assassin snail happens to be there - has been there the last 2 days.
    Here's a picture..... Is my Betta safe????? This is my first time owning an Assassin - just got him 4 days ago.
    Thanks!

20121202_163327.jpg

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

i don't think it will at least i have never heard of a assassin snail hurting a fish :) i might have to get an assassin snail or 2.... they eat mts right?

3. B

Borisbbadd Guest

To the best of my knowledge, no.

4. OP
    OP
    Junne

Gosh I hope you're right! He keeps going over to that corner but of course, every time I come up to the glass, he comes out like, "nothing! I'm not doing anything!"

Yes, they eat MTS. I've only had my one Assassin for 4 days and so far, I see 2 empty adult mts shells and he is working on his 3rd right now....... Sneaky guy too!!! Buries himself under the sand and lies in wait.....

5. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

ugh i want one so bad now. lol

6. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Maybe my Assassin Snails are just whimpy, but they dont hurt anybody, they get picked on! Haha, the Loaches just plow them over carelessly, and i've caught my Ghost Shrimps bullying them a few times. So i'd say you should be safe. They are really slow anyway.

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Well Junne as you know I have a group of them and my betta prefers to lay on the plant the females have claimed to lay their eggs on... and the only time I have seen an assassin "eating" a fish/shrimp in the tank is when it was dead and they were to lazy to catch a snail to feed on... so no Mr. Betta is safe :D

8. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Your betta is beautiful! And I am sure he will be safe :)

9. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks - I feel better now :)

Junne

10. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Where did you get your assassin from? I'm contemplating one for my betta tank too. Pond snails galoure. LOL

11. OP
    OP
    Junne

I got mine from a lfs thats a mom and pop place. Cost me $1.80 total! What a deal! :)
    Its tiny too but man, this little guy takes on MTS that are twice the size!!! REALLY scary! :;nin2

So far, I've noticed 3 empty adult shells and he is working on another smaller one as we speak. This guys got a hearty appetite!

12. monkeypie102

I got mine on eBay from a really nice seller :)

And 1.80 is a steal!

13. OP
    OP
    Junne

Yeah I was expecting to pay at least $3.00 - I only got one but at the rate my MTS are populating ( found a bunch of babies in my OTHER tank now ) I may have to get another.................

14. monkeypie102

My lfs sells adults for $4 but I refuse to buy from him because those poor things look like they will keel over any time... all his animals do :/

15. OP
    OP
    Junne

Wow thats alot! I wouldn't either....... He probably lets them breed in his tank so all of that is pretty much profit.......

16. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I started with 6 assassins and now 2 years later have probably 50 of them. I like them a lot. And no, they do not interfere with fish in any way. The Betta is just curious about it, apparently.

I am somewhat concerned my assassins are running out of food to eat, tho.

17. OP
    OP
    Junne

They are live bearers right? I only got one because my Betta tank only has about 300 mts right now - I didn't want them to be all eaten and run out of food. With the way they keep making babies, there should be an endless supply for my assassin :)

18. monkeypie102

Nope assassins lay eggs :) unless you mean MTS then yes they are :p

19. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Wow that's definitly a steal for the assassin, Jwebbe.

Ya know.... I must be the only one that finds a snail that prefers to eat other snails, a bit...... DISTURBING. :)
    Necessary at times. But still disturbing. LOL

20. OP
    OP
    Junne

It is quite disturbing - I try not to look
    Too bad they don't eat the shells too! I dunno if I want a bunch of carcasses lying around, ya know?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice