Will assassin snail assassinate pond snails?

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will they assassinate pond snails? I have a 10 gallon with an infestation I can't seem to get under control. Also if they run out of other snails to eat, what do you feed them?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Treefork,

I've only kept Mystery Snails so hopefully someone with the knowledge you need will respond today.

Ken

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I frgot to mention, this post was moved to it's own thread as it was discussion in the b/s/t forum.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I guessed that much. I was kind of asking in that thread because I was interested in purchasing some too.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This doesn't answer your questions, but here's a couple of tips for helping control snail infestations:
- feed less. The infestations occur because of too much food
- blanch a some lettuce, weigh it down, and stick it in a cup. Put cup in tank in the evening. In the morning, the lettuce will be covered in snails - remove cup from tank and discard the lettuce and snails

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes they will eat pond snails and lots of them. For a 10 gallon tank I would go with 3-4. They will take some time to clear up the infestation...mine took about 3 months or so to be completely gone but they will go to work quickly. They also look quite nice and are very slow breeders. When the ponds are gone they will eat high protien foods such as Krill and cichlid pellets, though personally I do a once a week feeding of pond and ramshorn snails I get from a local Pond store. (They love me for taking their snails away, lol) I have a Kritter keeper I keep the pond snails set up with a small nano filter and some java moss. I tried breeding pond snails for them to eat but they just eat too fast and the poplation could not keep up. Assassins are one of the best things I did to my tank! I will have some for sale in a month or two if you can't find any locally. You can also try other forums if you need them sooner.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I've tried the lettuce thing, they came in on some plants from the lfs that I forgot to soak. I'm to the point where I want to borrow someones loach.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info nate. I have never seen them for sale around here. I'll look around online, if not I'll hit you up in a month.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You might try the forum here.... There are usually lots of assassins around this. You must join the forum to even see the buy sell trade there....

This one is also a good bet.
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's one of the reasons I won't try live plants - I really don't want snails.

REDKAHUNA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they will eat them but they will also go the easy route if you let them and eat flake etc. Once used to a regular diet they sometimes are hard to get back down to business.

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never needed assassin snails before, so I have no experience with them. But I have read stories on another forum of them eating mystery snails. Would this be a problem with your 10 gallon? (If you're talking about one of the 10 gallon tanks in your aquarium info.)

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no I've put my Mysteries back into my 29, I have to update the info. Thanks for reminding me.

OhMyGoshman

Reaction score
I have 1 assasin snail in my 10 gallon tank, in a few weeks he had the infestation under control. After a while I threw some ramshorns in the tank after I saw he ate all of the snails and had been hiding for a few days. He ate 5 big ramshorns in like 2-3 days. I already see TINY baby ramsborns and baby pond snails again, but he doesn't eat them until they get a little bigger.

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Treefork said:
Oh no I've put my Mysteries back into my 29, I have to update the info. Thanks for reminding me.
OK, glad I could hep.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads