Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Will Any Butterfly Eat Trochus Snails?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Feb 21, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Hi! I'm still planning my saltwater FOWLR. I might be keeping my hermits in the 10 gallon , but I will definitely move my trochus snails. I'm wondering if ANY butterfly will not eat my trochus. With that cone shaped shell, they seem indestructible. I know the yellow longnose will leave them alone, but what about raccoons or aurigas? I'm also looking at Sunsets, Tahitians, and Pearlscales.

Will any of these butterflies be able to eat trochus?

2. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

All butterflies outside of the pyramid, copperband or longnose yellow you should consider an invert muncher. Auriga and Raccoons are two of the worst in that regard.

3. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

How about Humu Picasso Triggers? Will they eat trochus?

4. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

You keep re-hashing the reef safe issue with Triggers and Butterflyfish (ie will they eat corals and inverts). I don't know if you are posting so much you don't remember or if you keep posting hoping for a different answer. The Answer I will give you is the same that I have given several times in other threads:

For Butterflyfish Outside of Pyramids, Copperbands, and maybe Longnose Yellows ANY SNAIL OR INVERT IS ON THE MENU and the Copperbands and Long Nose Yellow are still a potential risk

With Triggers outside of the Blue Throat and Red Tail (which are still with caution) ANY SNAIL OR INVERT IS ON THE MENU

You will have to forgive me but you seem to post threads for whatever random thought is in your head at the moment and don't do much in the way of follow up before posting another thread that goes off in a totally different direction. If you go to   and take a look at a given fish and see what it says for reef safe and it says "Reef Safe: No" that means that Corals and Inverts are on the menu and you should leave it at that. If a fish is listed with a temperament as Aggressive and another is listed as Peaceful, it will not likely work out in the MINIMUM recommended tank size. You are going to have to chose between the snails, the butterflyfish and the triggerfish unless you go with one of the Triggers or Butterflyfish I mentioned above and are willing to accept that your Trochus snails may still eaten.