Will, and if so, what types of algaes do cherry shrimp eat?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Tswope805, Mar 21, 2010.

1. T

Tswope805 New Member Member

well im really not much of a thread poster(mostly because im a horrible speller) but i dont know where to go and im pretty desperate. i have a bit of an algae problem in my 29g planted aquarium, and by bit i mean my tank is being consumed/attacked by what i believe is hair algae. My question is will cherry shrimp help to naturally get rid of or at least slow the algae?

-any support will help, thank you guysO0(ha had to do that, that face is freakin sweet)

2. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Second, yes cherry shrimp will definitely help the algae problem (if you get about 1 per gallon).

Now the fact that you have algae is an important issue. This could be due to one of two things.

1) This could mean you have significant Nitrite in your tank (which is toxic to creatures). You should get a test kit (drops not strips because the drops are more accurate and cheaper per test) and test your water parameters.

2) Or (which I personally think is less likely) you have too much light in your tank.

3. OP
    OP
    T

why thank you sir for that little peice of information. Im totally with you on the fact that this algae is an important issue its kind of a pain in the neck issue too.
    my lighting is only 75w with a 55w compact flourecent and a 20w flourecent.
    as for the nitrites i really dont know. i dont have any water testing equipment. last time i looked which was probably over a month ago the nitrite read 0 but it was with a strip so maybe it wasnt? The algae was also in place when it read 0 then too though

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

How long has your tank been set up and running. If you have been doing regular maintenance I think your tank would take about 4 weeks to cycle. If its older than that then I would say your fine. Your lighting is fine.

If it were one of my cycled tanks I would slow the water changes down because the minerals in the tap water could just be helping the algae out. But I'm not sure.

This question would better be put in the Aquarium Plants section. I'm sure you'll get much more responses but I'm not a moderator to be able to move it. So re-post over there.

5. OP
    OP
    T

you got it man. thanks for the info

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice